Topic

Bob Marshall Wilderness Open 2019

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Bob Marshall Wilderness Open 2019

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

This is my 2019 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open gear list.  Heavier than I was originally planning for but conditions appear to be worsening for Saturday’s (5/25) start.  Larger pack, heavier shelter (vs Gatewood cape originally planned), more clothing, snowshoes, a rescue rope, etc have all added weight.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

quick summary post Open

literally 10 minutes before I was out the door on the way to the start, mailman showed up with a package- a tarptent aeon shelter, opened the box, read the instructions and quickly set it up- ditched the Ghost UL and threw in the Aeon :)- worked great

more snowshoeing than any past Open, the Shifts were definitely the ticket

more rain than any previous Open as well; wasn’t sure how well my UL rain gear would hold up- but both the jacket and pants were great- pants would have been handier with zips though

rain mitts were a godsend

for several years I’ve packed Hydroskin socks and thin liners, never used them- I’m damn glad I had them; my fear of hotspots and blisters were unfounded- my feet weren’t hot by any stretch, but clearly warmer than thick wool socks

Apex insulation in both quilt, hat and jacket were good calls- impossible for things to be bone dry and Apex simply works better in damp conditions

overall very happy with the gear choices

Scott Emmens
    BPL Member

@multisportscott

Just stumbled across this thanks to a search on “the Open”.

Thanks for sharing Mike M this is great intel!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Looking at the list I’ve changed very little in the last three to four years for the Open.

I mentioned the Aeon Light above, still using it.

Rocking a SO Flight pack now- carries better, more volume and no heavier.

Stove is now a MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe- slightly heavier, but boils in a hurry (and better in the cold)

Mid-layers have changed to Kuiu Peloton 97’s top/bottom- warmer and a little lighter

Scott Emmens
    BPL Member

@multisportscott

Thanks for coming back to me!

More great intel.

I am very keen to try the Kuiu Peloton garments, the Toray fabric sounds fantastic.

Are you planning on taking part in the Open this year?

Thanks, Scott

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

plan is yes :)

Scott Emmens
    BPL Member

@multisportscott

I am jealous, it’s a bit far to travel to from New Zealand unfortunately!

One day I might get back over for a wander/float around the Bob….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools