Topic

Bob Marshall Trip Planning – Chinese vs. North Wall?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Bob Marshall Trip Planning – Chinese vs. North Wall?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tallgrass
    BPL Member

@reeas1955-2

My teenage son and I will be backpacking in the Bob in a few weeks.  Currently, I’m putting together our itinerary.  I’m trying to put together a big loop that starts at Silvertip, and encompasses Elk Ridge, the Trilobite Range, the North Wall, at least some of the Chinese Wall, and returning along the Spotted Bear River.  We have about 6.5 days.  Typically, we average about 15 mile days.  This seems like I’m biting off more than I can chew, with regards to distance.  So, my question:

How does the North Wall compare to the Chinese Wall?  Is it fair to say that one is more striking than the other?  We place a high value upon solitude, and from what I can gather, the North Wall will offer more of that.  But am I making a mistake by not prioritizing more hiking distance along the Chinese Wall?  Should I skip the Trilobite Range and stretch our loop further southward?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Bryan

Tallgrass
    BPL Member

@reeas1955-2

Here is my current, proposed gpx file to our trip.  It includes several options for shortening/lengthening the trip, depending upon whether we are making good time, or not.

https://www.70mpg.org/miscellaneous/bob-hike-proposal.gpx

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools