Topic

Blue Bolt Quilt V3 with hood, draft stopper and vapor barrier

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Blue Bolt Quilt V3 with hood, draft stopper and vapor barrier

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Check next post.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Hi everyone! It’s Huzefa here. You may remember me from my previous posts about the VBL (Vapor Barrier Liner) outdoor quilts I’ve designed and made. It’s been over a year since I first started offering custom quilts for sale and I’ve gotten a lot of feedback from early-adopters which I have incorporated on the third iteration of the quilt design.

Materials used for all versions:

Outer shell: 10D ripstop nylon, high thread count construction and multi calendering process  for wind resistance, Super DWR

Liner: 10D Silnylon taffeta (VBL)

Insulation: Climashield APEX synthetic insulation
    <table style=”width: 100%;”>
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td>v1</td>
    <td>

• Extended length for integrated hood
    • Draft stopper
    • 3D rectangular footbox
    • Sewn 3D footbox
    • Comes with Stuff sack

</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>v2</td>
    <td>

• 3D hood
    • Shaped draft stoppers that tuck in automatically
    • Option for Zippered footbox with baffle
    • Reinforced the sewn footbox joint
    • Comes with stuff sack with built-in compression and cotton storage sack

</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>v3</td>
    <td>

• Improved 3D Hood
    • Updated draft stopper design for increased comfort
    • Pad attachment system
    • Improved compression stuff sack
    • Flat seams for sewn footbox
    • Dual slider for zippered footbox
    • Seam sealing service (Optional)

</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

Diverse field testing results from actual users …

1. Peter from Belgium (www.ultrajourney.org) tested the blue bolt solo quilt (25°F/-4°C) on his 3000km ultra hike across the Himalayas.”I completed a 4 month exploration / alpine style / minimalist / ultra hike across 120 passes in Uttarakhand, Himachal, Ladakh (Indian Himalayas) and had a very positive experience in using the Bluebolt solo quilt. It’s is super light and comfortable even while sleeping at near zero temperatures. I did not carry a tent and was mostly sleeping in the open with just the quilt and basic Decathlon Quecha sleeping mat. I only used a lightweight bivy in case of rains and cold winds in which the quilt again was providing comfort and warmth from 1000 to 5000 meters altitude.The quilt never had any condensation and easily dries when wet. When sleeping in the open it nicely cuts the cold wind. One of the best items in my minimalist gear set this year!”
    2. Robin from Italy (www.thewalkingrobin.com) tested his Blue Bolt quilt (10°F/-12°C) “on 2 excursions of two nights each and on a winter expedition to Lapland lasting 10 days (9 nights). The environmental temperatures recorded during the tests remained in the range -8° / -25 °C.”He further says, “In my tests I was able to sleep comfortably up to a temperature of -22°C, however, wearing, in addition to the thermal underwear, a light fleece shirt, a heavier fleece jacket and a light down jacket for the upper body, plus lightly insulated trousers for leg protection… using the Thermarest NeoAir XTherm mat (R-value = 5.7).”
    3. Josh from the USA has taken his Blue Bolt quilt (25°F/-4°C) on a hiking trip in the AT last month. He says, “I’m on the Appalachian Trail right now hiking with your quilt, it is my favorite piece of equipment.” His review : “I am in the Northeastern U.S. where it’s often too humid or raining too much and I got sick of dealing with wet down so I started looking at synthetic bags and settled on this one after talking with the owner. I’ve only had it for about a month in winter here, but I’ve had the chance to use it on 3 weekend trips in night temperatures ranging from 23° (f) to 49° (f) and it’s kept me warm, with a few layers when it was below freezing. The insulation was even throughout the quilt and there were never any cold spots, even if I soaked the footbox from condensation from the inside of my tent, and it if did get wet overnight it was dry very quickly, usually before I finished breakfast and packing up.The draft collar/stopper worked very well, it’s very wide and easy to keep tucked under myself even if I’m rolling around below freezing. I ordered a wide one so that me and my dog could fit if she gets cold and he made it perfectly for the two of us, the footbox is normal and the torso is extra wide so Sadie can curl up under it. I was very impressed with the stitching, I have not found a single loose thread or any missed stitches (or down feathers escaping) something I consistently dealt with my other sleeping bags. Weight came out to 25.5 oz.”
    4. Amit from India took his Blue Bolt (25°F/-4°C)  on his solo hikes in Himalayas. He says “The quilt is a perfect companion for my solo treks. I used it for 10 days during my trek in Laddakh and camped at altitudes ranging from 4000 meters to 4750 meters. The quilt is ultralight (weighs 650 grams), extremely comfortable as compared to sleeping bags and can withstand temperatures of -5 degrees easily. It kept me comfortable even while camping at 4750 meters with a basic mat below my back.”

I’m definitely happy with these feedback.

Are you in the market for getting an innovative backpacking quilt? We’re open for business.

• Current production lead time is 8 weeks.
    • Current shipping time to the USA, Canada, Europe via EMS / DHL is  6-8 days. Shipping is free.
    • 10% off for BPL members. PM me for offer.
    • Two-person quilts also made to order.

Comfort rating  | Prices:

40F $200 | 14.1 oz

25F $225 | 22.9 oz

10F $275 | 31.75 oz

-5F $299 | 40.5 oz

Add 2 oz & $25 for zippered footbox option.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools