Topic

Block III GPS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Block III GPS

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

I see that the new Block III GPS satellites are being launched.  I tried to read up on the specs, but a bit over my head.  My questions.

1. There is a new, second civilian signal that is supposed to minimize atmospheric issues.  With accuracies of 8-9 ft presently, will this really make a difference in the hiking world in some other way?  Thinking canyons of the SW, heavy tree cover, ect.
    2. Are the present phones and portable civilian GPS receivers capable of using this upgrade?
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

There is a new, second civilian signal that is supposed to minimize atmospheric issues. With accuracies of 8-9 ft presently, will this really make a difference in the hiking world in some other way? Thinking canyons of the SW, heavy tree cover, ect.

https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/modernization/civilsignals/

“L2C broadcasts [the new signal] at a higher effective power than the legacy L1 C/A signal, making it easier to receive under trees and even indoors.”

Are the present phones and portable civilian GPS receivers capable of using this upgrade?

“Users must upgrade their equipment to benefit from the new signals.” And upgrades might not be cheap – current designs require two separate receivers at much higher cost and battery drain.

Plus the new signal won’t be reliable until “late 2020s.”

— Rex

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Thanks Rex, I guess I can put that upgrade to bed for a long time.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Interesting.  I wonder if  there plans to let the L1 C/A support drop into obsolescence?  My guess would no owing to the amount of both civilian and military equipment that won’t support the new L2C.

Also like most technology, I’ll wager that what’s new and expensive today (hardware that supports L2C), will be cheap and ubiquitous in 3-5 years.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

We’re scheduled to have at best 5 GPS-III satellites in orbit by the end of the year.  Because satellites tend to last longer than there design lives, launches tend to get pushed out.  Of those launched most are probably in standby.  I would guess it’s going to be a while before we have a full constellation of GPSIII satellites.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools