Topic

Black toenail advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Rob
    Spectator

@pnwrambles

Locale: PNW

About 10 days ago I returned from my longest trip today which had a lot of downhill at the end. The big toe on my left foot has had the toenail became painful and turned black. My concern is that I have another trip coming up in a week and wondering how I manage that toenail should I get worse or loose while on trail. I have since learned the heel lock method of tying ones shoes. Unfortunately too late.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Not sure of the medical treatment, but I would go get a similar shoe 1/2 or 1 size larger. That cured this problem for me years ago. the shoe will feel a bit sloppy at first, but you will get used to not having pain.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Consider just going to a podiatrist since the trip is so soon. Tell trip organizer to see if they object to your going since if it gets worse there may have to be a bail out plan.

If going anyway, I’d  think about cutting nail on that toe so it is not sticking out at all…then maybe taping it up when trail time comes. And making sure that side foot is not slipping forward on any downhill. If painful, I would skip the trip.

Rob
    Spectator

@pnwrambles

Thanks! I’m considering a podiatrist but it would be paid out of pocket. I had a primary care appointment but they canceled it on me.   If I skip the trip, it will be next year before I can try and get another permit. Ugh 😩

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

I have had black toenails, and it will take months to resolve. In the meantime, there’s not much more damage that can be done. So as long as you’re not in discomfort, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Andrew P
    Spectator

@ap_az

I can’t speak to how to treat the condition, but I’m sure that Dr. Google has something. This is a very common condition for distance runners.

Ultimately, as Arthur said, your shoes are too small (in length) and the long-term fix is either changing shoes or buying the same in a larger size.

Heel-lock lacing can help with this, but it’s really not intended to keep your foot from sliding forward rather it changes the way that the shoe’s collar rides which can eliminate slip in the heel. Using it to prevent the foot from sliding forward _can_ result in way too much pressure on the top of the foot which can lead to extensor tendonitis. I’ve been down this path and it grounded me for over a week. The pain lingered for over a month.

John Z
    BPL Member

@feather

Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes  by John Vonhof  might provide useful information.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Vonhof even has a blog that might go over this issue.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nothing will make up for a too-small or otherwise ill-fitting shoe.

You can try all the lacing tricks in the world, but if you want to keep your toenails, either get some shoes that fit or get used to carrying them in your pocket.

Rob
    Spectator

@pnwrambles

Thanks for your constructive advice. The shoes are fine, I have never done the amount of elevation change, in particular the amount of loss on the last two days, ever before. No where close. I’ve  also never suffered this injury before so it wasn’t in tune to the possibility. I am now and the question was regarding management and the treatment related to my upcoming 4 day trip next week.

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

Trim the nail to avoid further damage. Drill a small hole to drain blood and the pain will immediately improve.

It will likely take a couple of weeks to fall off, if it is damaged enough that falling off will occur. If it starts to fall off while you are hiking it may not even hurt.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

It wont hurt if it falls off. I have had my toe nails black.. then fall off.. no pain at all. It will take some time though before that happens. I call them lentil toes, lol. My toenails look like lentils a few days after a tough hike with lots of down hill and toe bang.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Toe protectors, aka “toe condoms.” There are many brands, made of silicone, usually available at a Walgreens type pharmacy. I use these whenever I have any toe issues, and have given many away. They can be washed and re-used once or twice. Why suffer?!

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

Silicone toe sleeves can for sure help – your shoe may also not be side enough (or it might not have a high enough vamp / instep) which can cause it to crease at the wrong spot (over the toenail instead of where your toes flex with the feet). This can put pressure on the toe nail

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Since I have been hiking seriously I have yet to not have one toenail with some bruising/blackening. I keep them clipped as short as humanly possible. My shoes fit fine but kicking rocks/roots seems to happen at some point.I wouldn’t worry about it the least. Bring some duck tape and gauge and if it falls off cover it up.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Damaged toenails are most often due to gentle rubbing inside the end of the shoe in my experience. If you have toenails problems, I would be very sceptical about the idea that the ‘shoes fit fine’.

Try measuring your feet on a genuine Brannock Device, and then never buy shoes that are smaller or narrrower. In fact, go UP one size: your feet will swell after a few hours walking.

Cheers

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools