Topic

Black ripstop inner tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Black ripstop inner tent?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

Has anybody had any experience with an inner tent made of black ripstop?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Very gloomy. Not conducive to an early morning start.

Cheers

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Must be great for sleeping in latitudes where the sun is seasonally up for very long parts of the day.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I have not had experience with a black inner tent, but I have noticed significant differences in mood depending on tent color. I have one tent with a dark green fly and I find it gloomy, despite the white inner tent. I much prefer light colors all around. A nice white or gold is my favorite.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Yes, I agree.

But the choice of fly (outer) color is really dependent on the intended usage. Nothing potentially ruins the mood more than uninvited guests, human or otherwise, attracted by bright colors.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It’s tempting to jump on the gloomy bandwagon, but my and everyone else’s propensity to do that probably answers the original question:  No.

Outside the far north situations alluded to above, I guess I’d be surprised to find a black (solid) inner.  I’ve certainly never seen one.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Quechua makes a “fresh and black” series of pop-up tents with fixed, non-removable poles. White outer with reflective coating and a black inner. Must be great for the morning after during an outdoor music festival.
    decathlon tente cool black的圖片搜尋結果

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

I was recently at a retailer that had a demo tent up with a black inner designed to create a good blackout.

Like the Quechua, it seemed to be aimed at the festival market where users would want to sleep in after a late night.

I was intrigued enough to spend a few minutes inside to get a sense of how it would feel. My personal response was that I would end up semi-suicidal if pinned inside for any time in a storm. I personally much prefer a cheery gold or yellow for an inner.

For hiking, the only valid use I could see for a blackout inner would be summer camping in high or low latitudes, though speaking for myself I’ve never had any issues sleeping in arctic twilight. But for people who find this a problem, I suspect that a sleep mask would be a more practical solution.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools