Topic

Black Diamond DISTANCE Z-POLE STRAPS M-L S15. Is there a substitute?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Black Diamond DISTANCE Z-POLE STRAPS M-L S15. Is there a substitute?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

One of my DISTANCE Z-POLE STRAPS is just about worn through, literally hanging by a thread.  BD has not has replacement straps in stock for months.  Is there another brand of straps I can use instead?  Or has someone come up with another workaround?

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I love my Z-poles, but had to replace the straps annually.  When I ordered the last replacement, I did the math and realized I’d paid for the poles twice.  My workaround:  I bought a different brand of poles and haven’t had to replace a strap in years.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

What was your replacement pole of choice?

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

What was your replacement pole of choice?

I got a pair of REI Flash Carbons, which I like because they’re a tiny bit lighter than most similar poles but have noticeably lower “swing weight” to my perception.  I adjust them so that the bottom section is always fully extended, using the upper section for adjustment; this moves as much of the poles’ weight as possible closer to my hands.  Their swing weight is not as good as the z-poles—that’s the main thing I like about the zs—but they’re not bad.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

The Flash Carbon bottom section has to be fully extended. Otherwise it will loose it’s grip and collapse. It’s happened, and quickly. Poles state, “extend to here”.

The womens version is lighter than the mens and only because it has less top extension. I’m 6-1 and this isn’t an issue. Neither is the difference in color of gray and black vs red and black.

Before getting these I contemplated getting the BD but opted out. The only thing I hated about the FC out of the box was the clunky wrist straps. Replaced with a length of gray Amsteel threaded through. And it’s not terribly uncomfortable. Thought it may be, but they’re fine.

Another option would be to use LEKI’s hand straps. Very nice and silky. Would have to do a bit of mod with those ones I believe. May be on the horizon for me this season.

Also the FC handles flex quite a bit at the top cap due to its thin walls where the strap threads through.

It’s been daring to break ever since I purchased them, but so far has held up. Been wanting to cut the cap off and mod but haven’t found anything suitable to use as a cap that can still accept a replaceable strap and be comfortable for the palms.

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

BD Straps have driven me crazy for years!  Nonetheless, presuming the strap is wearing out at the top (where the string loops through), what about sewing the worn out section closed and creating a “new” end?  Alternatively, what about ordering the smalls? That’s what I use because they aren’t really that small if you use the straps the way the manufacturers intend.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

presuming the strap is wearing out at the top (where the string loops through)

That’s not what wore out on mine, amazingly enough.  They would fail higher up, the bulk of the strap just shredding, for lack of a better word.  If it makes you feel any better, I’m confident they would have failed where you presumed in short order if they hadn’t failed elsewhere first.  :-/

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I wonder if the LEKI hand straps would work (or be made to work) on my Cascade Mountain Tech carbon fiber poles? The OEM straps keep slipping to a larger size.  I do have a fix for the slippage but the LEKI straps look more comfortable.  As former XC racer I constantly use my trekking pole straps. After so many years skiing “I can’t not use them.” (sic.)

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

I do have a fix for the slippage

You willing to give that up?  I have a pair of those too, and they require constant re-tightening throughout a hiking day.

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Todd,

Drill a 1/8″ horizontal hole in the back side of the rubber “strap wedge” and screw in a wood screw (brass or stainless steel) that is larger than the hole. This absolutely stops slippage by expanding the rubber wedge so it securely grips the nylon strap webbing.

Before doing this you can remove the rubber wedges and lightly score several knife cuts on the top and bottom sides to give them more grip.

Zen,

Those Black Diamond straps might work (I’m my Cascade Mountain Tech poles) given some creative fiddling with an anchor point.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

That’s not what wore out on mine, amazingly enough. They would fail higher up, the bulk of the strap just shredding, for lack of a better word.

That’s the problem I am experiencing as well.  Shredded straps.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools