Topic

Black Diamond Distance Wind Shell – First Looks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Black Diamond Distance Wind Shell – First Looks

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Richard,

I didn’t send back my black Distance and will take photos of 2 cup test results after I return from a trip.

Nicholas, Richard,

Patagonia has also released a new windshirt, the Houdini Air. This is made from a double weave Pertex Quantum Air fabric that is supposed to have air permeability of 20 CFM. The fabric does not appear to have ripstop yarns, which Richard has exposed again and again as reducing water resistance, and double woven fabrics tend to have high water resistance, so its HH might be >300mm, but I do not know. The 20 CFM figure may be higher in real world, as Patagonia has seemed to underestimate this stat (e.g. Airshed, Nano Air). Unlike the Distance, however, this will have a C6 DWR so the DWR durability problem that plagues all non-Epic windshirts (bushwhacking for 30 min will destroy it) is not addressed with this product.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

One can always depend upon Richard for objective information. And very often he does his own testing for us to view, as seen here.

I’m wondering if the newest version of Pertex Y-shaped fibers would have more built-in water resistance. It seems that fabric fiber design and orientation is where the best wind shell fabric lies.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Brad,

Yes it was.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Apologies to the forum!

I earlier reported that the black Distance Wind Shell I have passed the two cup test. I repeated the test today and it failed rather badly. Not sure what happened the first time, but if anyone was contemplating buying one based on my test results, please refer to R. Nisley’s original post for correct information.

Again, apologies for misleading anyone.

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

I believe the airshed is actually 60CFM FYI. It is defintely more breathable than my pre 2012 houdini.

Now I am wondering about my Patagonia dragonfly pullover…..it is significantly different in feel than both the pre 2012 houdini and airshed but seems to have a somewhat similar CFM

Scott Emmens
    BPL Member

@multisportscott

This is all awesome information, thanks you.

Can I ask why in a garment, that I understand is primarily an extremely breathable windproof layer, is the expectation that it will be waterproof?

Richard, do you have any figures on Pertex Microlight fabrics? I work in the apparel industry here in New Zealand and would be interested in hearing how the fabrics we use stack up.

The quality of DWR’s on modern fabrics is pitiful and the cause of so many customer complaints/misunderstandings!

Is Nextex Epic fabric only available in the Defence/Military sphere nowadays?

Thanks in advance, Scott

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools