Topic

Bivy Tents?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bivy Tents?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    BPL Member

@jackrabbit

I fell in love with the whole tarp/bivy system this last summer with my MLD Grace Solo and Bug Bivy 2 setup, but more and more I’m feeling less inclined to use trekking poles.  I don’t feel like they really have much to offer me at this point so I’m dropping them from my kit, but I still like having the simple/compact shelter system.  I know I could just use sticks to set up my tarp, but I’m not a ‘camp chore’ kinda person so I’m kinda put off by the thought of having to look for good pitchin’ sticks.

So I’m looking for simple shelters with their own pole systems like this:

https://sierradesigns.com/high-side-1/

I really like this setup, but I feel like they’ve kind of over-complicated it to a degree as well unfortunately.  The amount of stakes this thing needs is kinda weird to me and adds unnecessary weight.  Though I feel confident I could work around it, I was wondering if there were any designs like this out there within this weight range?  Even just a minimalist tent?  It’s kind of a hard Google since I mostly just get results for standard bivy setups.

Lance
    Spectator

@geaulite-2

Chris, you could go for some carbon poles to replace the trekking poles for the tarp/bivy setup. I know MLD sells some

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/carbon-fiber-tarp-poles/

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

There are several but tend to be front entry , like the Eureka Solitaire.

looking at the specs of that SD bivy tent (13 stakes, 1.1 kg) I would suggest you look at the Tarptent Moment DW , 970 g , 2 stakes for standard set up or 4 if using the pole guylines in rough weather.

Less weight, a lot more space however more expensive.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/moment-dw/

franco@tarptent

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

BTW, possibly the earliest version of that SD design was the Walrus Zoid 1, later sold as the MSR Zoid 1 when those brands merged.

about 1.3 kg, probably 6 stakes.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

For a Bivy Tent or small tent that’s not trekking pole supported, you might consider the Terra Nova Laser Photon 1 at 1 lb 9 oz. Has an aluminum hoop tunnel design. It’s also side entry and double-walled.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Franco,

When I first saw the subject heading I instantly thought, “My Moment DW is a bout as “bivy” in size as I want to be. So we are in agreement. The Moment or Notch tents and their similar sized brethren are the minimum interior space I can tolerate.

While hunting near Nevada’s Mt. Moriah in 2017 I endured an all night and all day rain in my Moment DW and was dry but bored as he!!. One can only clean one’s rifle, snack and nap for so long. Finally the rain changed to snow and I could get out and cook dinner.

BTW Chris,

You do NOT want any tent (like the one in your link) that requires you to set up the inner tent without fly protection if it’s raining or snowing. The inner tent will get very wet. You will be miserable on a wet tent floor.

Any tent, regardless of size, that has this outdated system is not a good buy. MSR has tents like this but now has new versions that set up with inner tent and fly that can be pre-attached and the poles are on the outside of the fly – thankfully.

As for abandoning the use of trekking  poles, when you are a geezer like me your knees will thank you for using trekking poles. I suspect nobody ever showed you how to properly utilize the pole straps. GOOGLE “XC ski pole strap use” and follow the instructions. Pole straps properly used relieve muscle fatigue in the hands and lower arms and put the force on the straps and far less on your arms and hands.

Chris
    BPL Member

@jackrabbit

Lance:  I feel real silly for not giving that any thought.  Thanks for the link!  Now if I could just get over the constant sinking feeling that I’m sleeping in-between two lightning rods I’ll be good to go!  Definitely saves me money on a whole new setup.

Franco:  I’m a big fan of Tarptent, I’ve been rocking a Protrail on/off for years now.  After this year though I’m leaning more towards really small/simple stuff for my more serious trips, but for more relaxed backpacking I’m cool with using larger shelters.  The Moment looks really nice, I’m gonna have to replace my Protrail with another TT shelter here pretty soon so I’ve definitely been wandering around the website looking at different shelters.

Monte:  Thanks, that’s perfect!  Still looks like it takes a ton of stakes, but I’ll have to give a look at the manufacturer specs/setup.  I guess worst case scenario I just go out and buy lighter stakes.  I’m seeing a hole in the UL market for some cottage gear company to fill here though (hint hint – anyone? – hint hint).  We have plenty of bivys, plenty of minimalist tents, but not a lot in the way of hybrids.

Eric:  That’s definitely something that I keep in mind, it’s one reason I like tarp camping or some of my other trekking-pole-based tents to begin with because I don’t have to worry about that issue as much.  I’ve definitely slept in a soggy shelter here and there and it’s far from my favorite thing in the world, lol.  Unfortunately I’m so fixated on a system like this for the sake of simplicity (and comfort, I like how snug bivy life is) that I’d be willing to put up with it given the right design.

I just saw your edit Eric.  I’ve been using poles on my longer treks for years now and actually noticed this year it forces me into a weird stance or cadence that hurts me more than it helps.  I have a sensitive knee that this aggravates and rather than forcing myself into using poles correctly I think it’s just better to ditch them altogether if my knee feels fine without them anyways for the sake of just doing what’s easiest/listening to my body.  I do like having them around for obstacles but the infrequency of stuff like that on trail is low enough that I feel like they’re just not worth keeping anymore.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Chris
    Since you already own a MLD Grace Tarp, and like the simplicity of the set up, why not just buy the two CF pole set from MLD? 2.6 oz for the set.

Any other option will just increase the total weight of your shelter system.
    Cheers
    Bruce

Chris
    BPL Member

@jackrabbit

Lance above brought that up, it definitely wasn’t my first thought but I wish it had occurred to me before I posted this, lol.  Something I didn’t mention with the tarp/bivy combo is I don’t really like the whole lightning-rod feel of it.  I’m going to be camping in high-exposure areas this season and using the tarp system this last summer during lightning storms was really uncomfortable.  I know logically it’s just kind of a roll-of-the-dice being outdoors in the mountains during lightning storms, but the thought of a lower-profile design brings me a little comfort at the very least.  I’ll definitely be ordering the poles from MLD since I really do like my tarp/bivy from them, but I was kinda hoping there was some more minimalist system like this out there for future reference.  Maybe I should just be more creative with my pitch.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Chris:
    Just my opinion, I do not think the Grace Tarp is any more or less attractive of lightening and any other choice. You just do not want to set up camp under the tallest tree in the woods during the thunder and lightening storm.

If you are out in the open, then perhaps just use a bivy perhaps. But if you have a waterproof bivy, then you do not really the tarp a lot of the time. I use a mosquito net or a the MLD bivy with a water resistant top. Sometimes I just sleep under the stars in the bivy without setting up the tarp.
    Cheers

Chris
    BPL Member

@jackrabbit

It’s bit of a prominent/logically illogical fear of mine after getting caught on the summit of a mountain during a lightning storm.  It left an impression to say the very least.  A more water resistant bivy does sound like a good solution for this.  Thanks Bruce.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

The “substitute” poles for your existing set up was the first thing that came to mind (we have two types at Tarptent) however your comment about the numerous stakes put me off that idea.

Take a look at the Macpac Bush Cocoon.

https://www.macpac.com.au/equipment/tents/hiking-tents/bush-cocoon/114142-NKG00-OS.html

A side entry  hooped bivy in eVent.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

If lightning is a concern and you want something low to the ground and without metallic poles, the Nemo Gogo Elite fits the bill. The Airbeam hoop entry is inflatable nylon, but it is front entry single-wall. Weighs 1 lb 12 oz. Less confining and more airflow than a regular bivy.

Chris
    BPL Member

@jackrabbit

Franco & Monte:  Thanks, those both look great!    Looks like I have some good options to mull over here, I appreciate everyone who responded.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

. STARGAZER BIVY .18.5 oz

. INTERSTELLAR BIVY 19.9 oz

. HELIUM BIVY  16.8 oz

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools