Topic

Bivy camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bivy camping

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

if it rains, put up tent.  Otherwise bivy usually.

If my insulation is marginal for the temperature I’ll put up tent.  It provides about 10F of warmth.

If there’s a lot of dew/frost I’ll sometimes put up tent.  But then it gets covered with dew/frost so I’ll have to dry something off regardless.

I’ve measured the temperature of the ground underneath my mat, in the morning when I get up.  The ground warms up to about 50F.  If camping on snow it’s 32F.  I have to add a closed cell foam pad when camping on snow to stay warm.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Dirtbag, I have done that in below freezing temps but can’t remember how low it got. Sorry for delay in response.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Thanks!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Did I accidentally create a solution to the foot condensation issue on my homemade bivy?

myog bivy

My “self-drafted” (as if I actually drafted it) myog bivy wasn’t quite long enough. I didn’t have any more of the fabric I used on the top so I used mesh to make the bivy longer.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Ahhh.. interesting!!

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

Diane, I was thinking that if I had a bivy with a mesh foot, I’d use my old GoLite quilt because it has a water resistant footbox. Did you had the same thought? Either way, does your setup seem to help with condensation?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I didn’t have any thoughts other than what can I use to make this bivy longer? I looked around and found a scrap piece of mesh that would work. Now I think I came up with something genius. And LOL I still have a Golite quilt so I will need to try them out together and see how they do. I used this bivy recently but I had no condensation the night I used it.

Thom
    BPL Member

@popcornman

Locale: N NY

Nice foot box and plants

thom

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Reminds me of a kid I saw years ago on a cold night in the mountains of North Carolina at 5,000 feet.  We all scurried into our tents at nightfall around 6pm to get warm and cook dinner while the kid had to stay in his “body bag” to keep warm for the next 14 hours.  Twas his only shelter.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!