Topic

Big/wide Pack Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Big/wide Pack Bag

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

My latest pack bag is wider and bigger than my previous ones.  I mounted it on the same frame that I’ve used for years with my smaller/regular sized pack bags.

My goal was to see if the wider/larger bag would lower the bag’s center of gravity and reduce barreling.  Based upon the last few trips I’ve taken I’d say it worked.  The increased volume allows me to only partially fill it.  When only partially filled it hangs like a fat person’s stomach.  Fully stuffed bags sometimes hang like kegs of beer.

More Info

Bag is simple.  Two pieces of 1.7 ounce uncoated nylon (31+”x31+”).  Drawstring top closure.  No pockets.  Bag has a 62″ circumference.  (Bear bags or beer = no problem)

Bag+aluminum inverted U frame+padded waist belt and shoulder straps = 16 ounces

Typically carry less than 30 lbs

Extra unpadded waist strap comes from lower corners of bag and wraps around my waist.  This allows me to carry small loads without swaying.

Buckles on top corners of frame to hang a front bag and thereby balance the load front to back.  Similar buckles allow hanging of foam pad and tent on back of pack.  Buckle near back bottom of pack allows hanging of ice axe.  Pack bag has nearly 4000 cubic inches of volume but I would never fully stuff it.  About 2000 cubic inches of pad, tent, coat, etc. can be strapped to the top bar of the pack/frame.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

That’s an unconventional looking, ugly pack. How do people react to it on the street?

I use it daily for trips to the gym and back from the grocery store in an upscale Seattle neighborhood (Queen Anne Hill).  People assume I’m a homeless person.  A couple of times homeless people waiting for a free dinner at the church have waved me in.

People’s pet dogs often act aggressively toward me.  I think they are picking up on their owner’s fear from seeing something strange and different they don’t understand.

I’m a form-follows-function type person and gear I make for myself rarely looks presentable let alone cool.

People who know me don’t have a problem with it.

something that looks different.

Ox
    Spectator

@ox-2

Don’t care if it looks ugly or not, a backpack is made for transporting stuff not to for looking cool but what is worrying me is that it seems to pull you backward and this can”t be good for your back. Shorten the shoulder straps maybe?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Agree.  The weight falls too far back, moving the center of gravity back, and pulling overly on the shoulders and back.   Some solutions are reducing the size of the pack’s sidewalls, and/or installing a couple of horizontal buckled straps, one high-one low, that keep the weight forward.in the bag.  The straps double as a way to attach flat objects or long thin sacks for a sleeping pad, poles and such; and they also provide a place to hang wet apparel, like socks, to dry while hiking.  But only light stuff; otherwise the attachments would also pull the center of gravity back and defeat the purpose of the straps.  For example, my camp chair, when folded flat, attaches to the back of the pack.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Romain and Sam,

Thanks for the observations and suggestions.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I like your frame

again

good for sweating testing : )

you’re saying your pack looks like what a homeless person would have?  Interesting.  Looks good to me.

the straps angle upwards where it connects to pack so should carry weight on your hips

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Jerry,

Yes, all of the weight is transferred to and carried on the hips.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools