Topic

Big Sky International updates?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Sky International updates?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Steve H
    BPL Member

@hop

It’s heavy lifting sorting out BSI products.  Especially ‘recent’ reviews.  Can anyone share their knowledge or experience?  In particular their Revolution 1p DW.

A few things I’m not completely clear on are:  Is the Mirage a SW or DW?  Does Rev-G pertain to the poles?  Is the Revolution exoskeleton (dry pitch) & the Evolution not?  How good are they at DCF (or their version)?  Any up-to-date info is appreciated.

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

I own a Big Sky 3p Revolution and a 1plus Chinook and have been happy with both. I recently ordered a 1p Revolution as a gift for a relative.

There was a recent thread on Big Sky tents here. I identified my tent as an Evolution in that thread, but that was a misstatement; it is actually a Revolution.

The larger Revolution sizes (1.5P and up) have a top cross strut to add structure whereas the 1P has only the 2 crossing poles. Otherwise, all sizes of the Revolution are similar in design and construction.

The Mirage is a “hybrid,” meaning single wall ceiling and double wall sides (i.e., netting inner with waterproof outer over the vestibule).

The Big Sky “Rev” numbers refer to minor design changes/improvements over time. The poles were apparently changes in Rev G-2, but there may or may not have been other tweaks.

You are correct regarding the difference between the Revolution and Evolution. In the Revolution, the outer shell is clipped to external poles and the interior hangs from the outer shell. In the Evolution, the poles attach to the interior and the fly stretches over the poles. The Revolution provides a dry setup and the exterior can be pitched by itself with the interior. The Evolution allows use of the inner by itself.

While Big Sky has offered DCF on some models in the past, I am not seeing any DCF options on their website at this time. I could be wrong, but I believe all of their current models are “SuprSil,” which is a silnylon variant.

I think of their current models this way:
    Evolution:  3-season, double-wall, external fly (over poles)
    Revolution:  3-season, double-wall, external poles (dry setup)
    Chinook:   4-season-ish version of the Revolution (with 3 poles)
    Mirage:  3-season hybrid (single-wall top, double-wall (attached mesh inner) sides)
    Soul:  3-season, double-wall (full mesh inner), external fly, free-standing

Dimensions of equivalent sizes (1p, 2P, etc) are essentially the same across the product line, just different pole/fly configurations.

Keith W
    BPL Member

@kswarren

I’m a fan of Big Sky International tents.  Ken’s explanation is very good.  I have an Evolution 1P from 2006…  It has been excellent-  more usable space for the weight than any other silnylon tent I know of.  After 15 years, it is showing some wear, but still functional.  BSI was very innovative 10-15 years ago and perfected some great designs, but not much is new lately.  I looked really carefully at replacing my aging model with a new one of the same (hoping for weight improvement), or a Revolution, but I eventually decided on a trekking pole Tarpent Notch DCF which I have recently received but not yet used…  saves 16 oz, but more cramped inside.  Not sure which I will like better-  I’ll probably still use my Evolution if I hike to “base camp” somewhere, as it is so spacious.

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

Agree with Keith. I really like the Big Sky tents for certain applications but the design seems to be “mature.” (And that may be a good thing!) I acquired my Revolution in 2009 and not much has changed since then. In fact, fabric choices are more limited now. I still use the Revolution for base camp trips when I appreciate the extra room and plan to leave it set up in one spot while we wander off for the day. I’m using a DCF Tarptent for most backpacking now, but I’m a little uncomfortable leaving it alone for the day, particularly in more populated areas.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

I was just thinking of Big Sky today and wondered if they were considering switching to silpoly (sil/sil).

As someone who rarely uses trekking poles, Big Sky has always appealed to me, but saggy tents seem very 20th century.

Shmedlap
    BPL Member

@13th

I had a Revolution 1 person DW nylon/winter version for a couple of years. The current version appears to be the same. Do you have a specific question/s?

Steve H
    BPL Member

@hop

13th – I’m in the market for a 1p & doing my homework.  BSI’s Revolution got my attention.  37 oz is a bit heavier then I’d like, leaning Notch Li, but recognize advantages of a freestander. Also liked the dry pitch & higher HH compared to larger manufacturers relatively thin denier.

Steve H
    BPL Member

@hop

Keith W – congrats on your new Notch Li.  That’s been top of my list unless something knocks it off. Which inner did you go with?

Ken – Thanks for the comprehensive response.  I did see a few BSI DCF tents once googled enough on a BSI site but couldn’t tell how current it is/was.  Which TT are you using now?

Stumphges – it still surprises me we don’t see a LOT more sil poly.

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

Steve – Regarding BSI DCF, BSI has 2 active websites: bigskyinternational.com and bigskyproducts.com. bigskyinternational.com is the newer site,  bigskyproducts the older site. Seems like BSI never finished the switchover. The older site still shows “Cuban/Cubic/DSM” options but the newer site does not. In some of the Q&A on the newer site, BSI does say they plan to offer DCF versions of some tents “soon.” You might try emailing the company if you’re interested; I’ve always gotten a response when I’ve asked a question (though it may take a few days).

I’m embarrassed to admit how may Tarptents I own. Currently using StratoSpire Li for 2-person trips, ProTrail Li or Notch Li for solo trips.

Steve H
    BPL Member

@hop

Ken Ross – looks like you’re a TT habitual offender.  Solid endorsement.  Thanks.

Keith W
    BPL Member

@kswarren

Steve- I ended up with both inners for the Notch Li.  I was juggling both in my mind and decided on ordering the mesh.  They accidentally shipped me the partial solid by mistake!  Rather than return it, I bought the mesh as well.  I figured that the first thing that wears out on a tent is the floor, and this way I have two floors- so the tent may last twice as long.  I’ll use the solid in shoulder season and switch to the mesh in summer for better views.

Regarding sagging of the silnylon of my BSI Evolution- I have never had a problem.  I think it is because two opposing forces keep the fly tight even when wet.  The arced poles create an upward force, and the rainfly attaches to stakes with elastic shock cord loops– they seem to take up any slack, so the fly stays taught.

Flat Hat
    BPL Member

@hatflat-2

Locale: Northern California

I emailed BSI about availability of the Mirage line.

Their response:

” Mirage (non DCF) tents available April/May, DCF versions later (summer?)”

The Mirage line’s construction looks very promising to me, especially the DCF.  I would be ecstatic if a camo or green one was offered.

The criss cross pole design and the way the poles are on the outside is especially appealing, strong support and allows a dry rain setup.

Flat Hat

Steve H
    BPL Member

@hop

Flat Hat – Thanks for the info.  I traded messages with Philip at Section Hiker about this last week – & he traded emails with BSI owner (Bob) about the Mirage.  We were trying to determine if it is a single wall (or not).  Appears it’s a hybrid: “double wall sides, single wall ceiling (translation: single wall w vestibules(?)).  I’m looking for a DW – otherwise, yeah – I really like the cross pole design.  Thanks again.

Flat Hat
    BPL Member

@hatflat-2

You’re welcome, Steve, it was BSI Bob who was kind enough to respond to my inquiry.  I also checked out the Chinook and Revolution specs, I just was drawn to the Mirage’s lighter weight.

Currently I own Zpacks Duplex, Triplex, and Altaplex, so a hybrid double wall/single wall Mirage (in DCF especially) would be a potential condensation reduction improvement.

I’m 6’3, 180lbs, size 15 feet.  Side sleeper using a 3″ inflatable pad and blow up pillow, so tent interior comfort is high on my list.  Call me a baby or call me soft – hey, I’ll be 64 next month and I like to do my suffering on the trail, not at night trying to sleep :)

Flathat

Steve H
    BPL Member

@hop

Flathat – I suppose with size 15 feet side sleeping is almost a requirement. :)

Flat Hat
    BPL Member

@hatflat-2

My feet are actually a dinky size 14 but I wear a 15 trail shoe.

Dan Durston
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Big Sky tents seem great – they make some of the few freestanding tents that naturally pitch fly first. Never owned one but seriously considered it a few times.

I think they’d be quite a bit more popular if they didn’t get off to a rough start, and because of continuing information issues (e.g. I’ve never gotten a response from their customer service and they have their gear spread across two websites- a new site (bigskyinternational.com) but also some stuff at the archaic bigskyproducts.com). Hence the need for threads like this.

Steve H
    BPL Member

@hop

Thanks Dan.  Frustrating seeing such potential squandered (however I have no direct knowledge of their business model or supply chain).

Steve

Flat Hat
    BPL Member

@hatflat-2

My only try at contacting Big Sky customer service was last week – I got quick response to my questions.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I’ve owned a 2 person revolution for several years.  I have nothing but positive things to say.

Still a mystery to me how they waterproof the fly.  No seam tape.  No seam sealing required.  But no leaks in the years I’ve owned it.

Another item.  The short pole that supports the vestibules crosses over two of the longer corner to corner poles.  Feels much stronger than the short pole on  my similar MSR tent.  It only crosses over a single pole and feels very bouncy in wind.

I would buy this same tent again.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

I have a a Revolution 2P, bought after much research, and I love it. Beats any mainstream tent design hands down. Lightweight, spacious, freestanding, incredibly easy to set up. I like it so much that I now want to buy a Mirage 2P.

However, the best products in the world are doing nobody any good unless they are available to be sold. The Mirage and almost all their other tents have been showing as out of stock for months now and I can’t get a response to my queries.

It’s a real shame that arguably the best backpacking tents in the world are so let down by whatever challenges are not being overcome on the admin side of things. I have no doubt they could be doing Tarptent or Zpacks level business if they sorted stuff out.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

I completely forgot about this thread, but when I asked, someone mentioned the sealing as not being that good: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/big-sky-chinook-1p-vs-hilleberg-akto/

I’ve got a Chinook 2P but yet have to experience that kind of weather. According to my research back then, the general consensus was quite positive.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!