Topic

big sky dream sleeper long term reliability?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) big sky dream sleeper long term reliability?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

I purchased a used pillow here in the gear swap section ~3 years ago, I have over 50 nights sleeping on it.  I have had a few minor issues, one where the material got caught in the valve and put a small hole in it, and another where the material started separating from the valve and leaking.  So maybe I was a bit rough on these areas that lead to the problem.

This past weekend, I went for a one night trip, and around 5:30 in the morning my pillow started to go soft.  Today I investigated it, and found it is leaking at the side seam.  easily patched with some cuben tape, like the other holes, but now I’m wondering how many more nights this pillow has in it.

Any other really good or bad experiences with this product?  I know there are few variants, mine weighs 1.3 oz on my cheap scale, so its likley the 1.4 oz version.  Maybe that extra 0.1 oz would help the reliability a bit . . .

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Mine came new from Big Sky with a small leak near the valve. I patched it with some GE silicone. No issues since then, but I worry about its reliability. Not that it’s an end of the world type failure, but it would suck for my pillow to die in the middle of a trip. I am considering the S2S Aeros now. The extra reliability (and maybe comfort) could be worth the extra weight.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

Mine has worked flawlessly for 2 years…I use a shirt over my sleeping pad to hold it in place so it doesn’t contact the ground. Stored in a HMG pod with quilt when in pack.

Rob
    BPL Member

@grubbster

I consider 50 nights on any lightweight inflatable item without a spontaneous leak to be great.  Consider yourself lucky.  These are not made to last forever.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools