Topic

Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL1 & 2 – too delicate?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL1 & 2 – too delicate?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

OK, I posted this a couple weeks ago & it never showed up – or I couldn’t find it – or I did something wrong & the moderator yanked it – so I’m trying again.

As I shop a new (1p) tent, leaning toward TT Li’s, I can’t ignore the discounted pricing available for the Tiger Wall UL1 & it seems to have pretty good space.  It’s like half the price of a Notch Li, & a not too terrible weight.

I’ve read & heard quite a few negatives on this shelter – but I’d like to know just how bad (or not) is this tent?  Can anyone provide some personal experience on this?  Thank you.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Looking for a new 1P shelter last night, I read some of the reviews for BA .. many  loved the design and weight of their “crazylight” Fly Creeks (1lb 7 oz), but didn’t like some parts splintering.

If anything like the Fly Creeks, imagine the heavier versions will be more robust.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I haven’t used this tent. I did use various BA solo tents over the years, most notably the Fly Creek UL1. that tent is bomber–except for the zippers. It’s a great design if you don’t mind being a bit cramped. Very wind and rain worthy. Small footprint. double wall so no condensation issues, with a partial fabric wall that blocks wind effectively and keeps it warmer than all netting would. I’m assuming most of these features are in the Tiger Wall.

That said, any of the TT tents look better in most–all?–regards.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Think BA has various versions of each model the lightest being “platinum” or “carbon”.   Many use these night after night on the long trails so maybe the more satisfied customers aren’t writing reviews?  Even then I’ve heard BA will ship replacement stuff to thru hikers so there’s the customer service angle; then again a DCF tarp would require just a stretch of duct tape for what usually ails it.
    Maybe have to split a trekking pole (again duct tape).

An almost free standing at competitive weights deserves a look.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Love my Tiger Wall UL2. Use it about 15 nights a year. I would call it delicate, but not unreasonable. The spreader pole on top creates a lot of headroom. I made a window film footprint, and otherwise treat it carefully. Only two tiny holes in the mesh, which I realized occurred when I’d reach behind me to stash my glasses in the upper pocket. Should watch where I’m going.

Haven’t been in hard rain, but have been in a couple high wind situations. Did fine. Light snow, did fine. Two vestibules really help with condensation.

Used the FCUL3 for years before the Tiger Wall with no damage to speak of. The Tiger Wall is more delicate than the FCUL3.

Kelly

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Here’s a guy that used the Copper Spur Platinum (equivalent fabrics to Tiger Wall) on a CDT Thru… I’d call it a pretty good endorsement.

https://www.halfwayanywhere.com/gear/review/big-agnes-copper-spur-2-platinum-tent-review/

Steve Cockburn
    BPL Member

@sgc590

Hi . This is a good lightweight tent but is vulnerable. Poles break reasonably easily and fabric tears reasonably easily too . I use this tent often and several failures in these areas have occurred. The lightweight and great space are great .

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Great feedback!  Keep it coming if anyone else has experience to share.  Seems like an unusual amount of problems except for JScott’s bomber Fly Creek.  Like Skurka said about the Carbons, might be that the carbon & platinum are stupid light?  But these issues are even with the reg UL versions.  Thanks!

Stephen Murphy
    BPL Member

@sjtm

I am still using my 6 year old Copper Spur UL1.  Bought a TW UL1 on sale last Christmas but returned it.  Not sure, but assume that BA continues to pursue lightness over function. My CS comes in at 40 oz with stakes and stuffsack  – not ultralight but the fabric is definitely a heavier denier and, more importantly, the floor dimensions are meaningfully wider – 42″ at the head and 32″ at the foot.  To me this trumps the minor weight savings of the current TW.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Anything specific on why you returned the TW?  I have a buddy who loves his CS1 too.

This is interesting.  At what point must you leave the “freestanding” market & move to non-freestanding to save weight?  The CS has a great rep but weight is very important to me (to the point that it allows me to do this with a crappy knee) & 40 oz may be too high for me personally.

Begs the question, for a 1p/1p+ under say 35 oz, must one pursue DCF or sil trekking pole tents with thicker fabrics.  Where is the inflection point?  Cost is certainly a factor, but that Spur that’s been good to you is, for example, over a pound heavier than a Notch Li.

Does the Fly Creek have 20D?  Maybe that’s the inflection point.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I had the TigerWallHVUL2. Few things I liked: Lightweight. Lots of floor/head/shoulder/arm room. Did very well in windy/rainy conditions. Inside pitches very taut. Airflow was very good but could be too drafty on occasion. Things I didn’t so much like. Rainfly on uneven terrain was difficult to pitch taut. Not freestanding. Large footprint (mostly due to the vestibules) these had pseudo ample space. They would angle out so far/low you lost all top space due to the low angle and became quite the stretch to reach the zipper. 2 doors unnecessary, which also increased the footprint. Zippers are too small. Rain fly zippers drag in the dirt because of low angle stretch and snag in the rain fly overlap. The floor fabric is very thin and will easily get holes if you don’t do proper site selection/prevention. Even with the ground sheet on I managed a few rocks to create small holes. Repaired with DCF tape. I believe the small rocks made it in between the ground sheet and the tent though.

Would I buy it again? Yes. If they made it freestanding like the CopperSpur and 1 door on the 2 person. (At the time I originally purchased they didn’t offer the 1 person) I would probably opt for this one now. But for marginally more weight the CopperSpur isn’t quite as delicate.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

My tents including all used guys/stakes/stuff sacks

CopperSpurHVUL1 =41.40 oz

FlyCreekHVUL1 =36.70 oz

HMG Ultamid2+1/2 insert/pole =45.25 oz

Claimed packaged weight on the TW2 is 40 oz. But they don’t include the stakes in that measurement. I remember mine being right around 43 oz. YMMV depending on stakes used.

Compared to the CopperSpur2 at a claimed 50 oz. I would either go CS1 or the TW1-2

EDIT: it would appear that REI has discontinued selling the TigerWall1, and is being discounted widely elsewhere.

Daniel C
    BPL Member

@dpc131

Just picked one of these up on the garage sale rack for $135. I had a cheap Chinese trekking pole tent before that’s a bit lighter (740g), but has no poles. The fabrics do seem like similar denier, but the TW blows it away in livability. The floor space may not be a lot, but it seems so spacious for a 1p because of the headroom.I also have a NF Mica 2 FL and while not nearly as wide, the TW does feel more spacious when laying down looking up.  For the TW, I’ve only set it up in the house. Fabric is light, but doesn’t seem too thin. Tension on fly when you attach it to the crossbar seems tight. I think my biggest complaint is the pre-cut tie outs. They pull up a bathtub floor in the front. I can see how they may make it a bit tough on rocky ground.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Daniel C – What garage rack sale?? :0

SIMULACRA – I thought the Spur ran 8 – 10 oz more than the Tiger (?).  Last years Spur is on sale too – but I’m trying to really keep my weight down (even considering Fly Creek), full disclosure, so I can keep my chair.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Tiger Wall UL1 – $314

Fly Creek HV Platinum – $375 (is this stupid light?)

I am gentle on my equipment.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Or I could get the Fly Creek HV UL2 Platinum (a 1p+ shelter) for $411 at REI & if the crazy light is stupid light I’ve got a year to return it.  Weight-wise, re BA freestanding tents, it’s probably this or the regular Tiger Wall UL1.  Thoughts?  Stay away from Platinum?  Frankly I don’t think I’d consider the Platinum series if it wasn’t an REI purchase w return option.

So,

1. last season’s Copper Spur HV UL1 for $303 (& a good bit heavier)

2. take a chance on the Platinum 2p Fly Creek at REI

3. Tiger Wall UL1 for $314 (about the same as the CS w less weight)

4. Suck it up & get a TT Notch Li (which is twice as much $)

I’ve added an HMG3400 SW, Tensor Ins. RW & FF Tanager already; the shelter is the last piece.  Thanks for your help!

Steve

Daniel C
    BPL Member

@dpc131

Daniel C – What garage rack sale?? :0

I didn’t know about the garage sale rack until I walked in to the store. Not sure if its all of the stores, but the three I went in over the last couple weeks had a rack or two that had stuff that they would normally hold out for a garage sale. Some stores were better than others with selection, but all had at least one rack nonetheless.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Daniel C – thanks.  Here in Asheville, NC they’ve (REI at least) postponed all garage sales due to COVID.  I appreciate the info though.  S

Daniel C
    BPL Member

@dpc131

Steve H. – Yeah, the ‘Garage Sale’ itself is postponed.  I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but it wasn’t an actual garage sale like there used to be with a dedicated day to bring everything out. It was just a rack full of stuff with garage sale tags on the items…next to the normal clearance section. Looks like as things get returned, they tag them and place them on the rack for immediate sale instead of collecting them in the back for release on the quarterly date, so its a luck of the draw.

Daniel C
    BPL Member

@dpc131

For the nearly the same weight as the TW 1P, the platinum seems to be a good tradeoff, especially for the price. I guess the durability concerns depend on how much you’ll use it and how long you would be working with a broken tent before you could get it fixed. A weekend warrior like me, I’d roll the dice. Not sure how I’d feel for a full through-hike depending on it day after day.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Daniel C – thanks.  Keep in mind it’s the “Fly Creek” 2 Platinum vs the Tiger Wall 1 regular UL.

Anyone else have an opinion, if you were picking between:

Fly Creek HV UL 2 Platinum at $411 vs Tiger Wall UL1 at $314?

Would the FC, though wider interior/body, still have similar footprint given front entrance tunnel shape?

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Well, my $.02…

If I wanted the Tiger Wall, I’d skip right past it and get the Nemo Hornet Elite 1P. Lighter than the Tiger Wall by around 5-6oz’s and a great tent.

In 1P tents I also have have a BA CS HV UL1 and an MSR Hubba HP (fall/winter tent)…

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Bradmacmt – thanks for the input!  I have a older Losi 3p for car camping that’s been a great tent.  For some reason I thought the cutaway fly could expose the inner tent body to weather. Is that not a problem?  That’s really the only reason I haven’t looked harder at that shelter.

Thanks again! (it is significantly more expensive – getting me closer to a TT Notch Li though)

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Just get the Notch li…when you pro rate it out over nights spent sleeping, it will be like, 4.00$ a night? Far cheaper than a motel 6. And no bed bugs.

To my eyes, the Notch is the cat’s meow. It looks very storm proof, AND can handle condensation issues. And, I like the fabric option on the inner.

My only issue is, since I’m addicted to hiking poles, and I sometimes will camp and day hike out into the immediate area, how would I leave the tent upright? In good weather I suppose I could improvise with tree branches and a poor pitch.

The advantage of a single pole tent is that you can bring a dedicated pole along with a small weight penalty. On through hikes, this wouldn’t be an issue.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

J Scott – I’ve thought about the say hike question as well.  Although I could probably get away without poles day hiking without a full pack on.  But if you want to take the poles, couldn’t you just pull the poles & let the tent lay flat?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools