Topic

Bicycle arm warmers?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bicycle arm warmers?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Anyone ever try bicycle are warmers?  I understand they are very popular, you wear a short-sleeved shirt and add arm warmers, then remove the warmers when no longer needed.  The thinner versions also provide UV protection.

They are very cheap from China, see:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Pcs-UV-Protection-Running-Cycling-Arm-Warmers-Basketball-Volleyball-Arm-Sleeves-Bicycle-Bike-Arm-Covers-Golf/32874377796.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4eac4c4dr8Tptm

They also come in thicker fleece versions for a few dollars more each.  Note that the listing above is per sleeve, i.e. you need to order two of them if you have two arms (or three if you’ve got extra arms).

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Is this question in reference to cycling or backpacking?

Yes, I have used them for cycling. They help mitigate windchill for the early part of the ride on cold winter, spring, fall mornings and or when it is very windy.

Never used them or thought I needed them for backpacking since a wind shirt cuts enough wind and is more versatile. If I thought I needed something for my lower arm, I would probably just use my neck buff which is more multipurpose since It can also serve as a balaclava or hat.

Cheers,

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I have the OR sunsleeves that I use for backpacking. They’re lightweight and work as a great alternative to sunscreen (which I hate). They add a bit of warmth, but I like them more for the sun protection.

David Franzen
    Spectator

@dfranzen

Locale: Germany

The ones i could find for sale were focussing on bikers (i.e. wind protection). Thats why i made some myself out of a power-dry cloth. Even with low skill on a sewing machine it only takes a few minutes.

I absolutely love them. I wear them against cold and sun as well.

I’ll try to find a pic for you tomorrow.

David Franzen
    Spectator

@dfranzen

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Those seem kind of plain.  Why not get the kind that look like a tattoo sleeve?

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

David – looks like you’re going to get a tan band around your upper arms, in the gap between the shirt and arm warmers  ;-)

David Franzen
    Spectator

@dfranzen

Yeah. I have the option to attach it to the shirt’s sleeve, but i am usually to lazy to employ it.

jim logan
    BPL Member

@jim_logan

I have used arm warmers for at least 20 years. I have tried Lycra but I prefer Smart Wool. I use the warmers in conjunction with an Ice Breaker zip-necked tee so that, without stopping, I can change from a wool turtle-necked long-sleeved shirt into an open-necked and, eventually, open-necked short-sleeved top. I think it’s wonderful for starting in crisp weather and then if either I or the day heat up, I don’t have to take a clothing stop.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You can get leg warmers too.

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

Leg warmers tend to fall down while hiking.vI’ve used arm warmers on hikes and like  them.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

A couple months ago I didn’t have any technical cloths except for cycling stuff. Took arm and leg warmers from my bike kit. They got all torn up from the bushes encroaching on the trail :(

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have bright yellow bicycle arm warmers, and I have wool arm warmers and I have some homemade fleece arm warmers that I made by cutting off the arms of a fleece sweater, sewing a little channel around the top and inserting some elastic. I wear the wool ones in my daily life. My homemade fleece arm warmers are one of my very favorite piece of gear because I can wear them on my arms or on my legs and I can even wear them like sort of extra floppy socks just by pulling them down so my feet are covered. I can also fold them up to use as a small pillow. In the warmer months they add enough warmth to a rain jacket that that’s enough jacket for me to get by and I can leave the puffy home.

I have a story from when I was hiking the PCT south of Mt. Langley. I bumped into this really super skinny dude and talked to him for a little while. He had sleeves from a button-down shirt safety pinned to his t-shirt. I asked him about that and he said he found a button-down shirt on the trail so he cut off the sleeves since he’s prone to sunburn and the sun was a lot brighter than he expected. I asked why he didn’t just wear the whole shirt. He said he only needed the sleeves. I asked what happened to the rest of the shirt. He said he left it on the trail in case someone needed just the shirt without the sleeves. Ultralight hiker.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools