Topic

Best/Right Cook Pot Size

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best/Right Cook Pot Size

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Locale: Monterey Bay

Ti “wide-short” 900ml myog lid … I like to cook boil in the bag brown rice, cos-cos, stove top stuffing and mix in a bit of dehydrated stuff store bought; 1 bag will last 3 meals…

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

That would be Mary Janes Farm black bean soup with . . . froth.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I am a boiling only kind of guy. For me, I like:

for solo use in the summer – 3 cups

for two, any time of year including snow camping – 2 liter

both Open Country aluminum hard anodized

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

WHO KNOWS ABOUT BLACK BEAN SCUM/FROTH?

THIS GUY!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

James,

I hear ya on Teflon fry pan delamination. Been there, suffered that. That’s why my little fry pan is a Wally Mart aluminum, ceramic coated “one egg” size (5″ diameter) with the handle ground off. I use aluminum pot grippers for the frypan and my cook pot.

For omelettes, pancakes and other stuff needing a fry pan it’s invaluable. Yes, to accommodate a ceramic coating it’s thick aluminum and as heavy as my 3 cup pot but worth every ounce. It even has circular grooves on the bottom to keep it from slipping of stove pot supports.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Good call Matthew!

Finnegan McBrisket
    Spectator

@joephish-2

Locale: SF Bay Area

The amount of water used should do little more than half-fill the pot, especially if you are cooking in the pot. That avoids problems with spills and boiling over.

@rcaffin
    , is that the rule of thumb for pot capacity? So, if I need 1200 mL for dinner for 2 (2x cups of tea, 2x FBC meals), I should consider a 2000 or 2400 mL pot?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I use an MSR 1.5 L Titan pot to ccok for the two of us. It is more than adequate most of the time. It has a lid, which i do use to cut steam loss.

It can overflow if I am cooking noodles with the lid on – but that would happen with a 4 L pot at home anyhow!

I would not go to a 2 L pot or larger myself. I think that would be needlessly going overboard and could present stability problems as well. It is also possible that the very big diameter could reflect too much heat down onto the fuel container. This has happened in the past, with fairly disasterous consequences.

Cheers

Finnegan McBrisket
    Spectator

@joephish-2

Locale: SF Bay Area

Thanks @rcaffin.

I’m trying to determine the right size pot and want to avoid going too large. I never go solo, so I’m looking for a two person pot to boil water. I calculate that I will need up to 1200 mL of water for dinner and a hot drink, so I’m going to aim for a short/wide 1500-1600 mL pot to give me some boil room.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools