Topic

Best winter pants for snowshoeing, 2016-2017

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best winter pants for snowshoeing, 2016-2017

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

I did a search for this, but a lot of the threads are old, so I’m looking for more relevant insight.

I am no longer able to snowboard or backcountry ski, but I live near lots of  snowy trails in the winter. So I’ll be taking up snowshoeing to get my snow fix and to allow my backpacking trips to continue in the winter. I’ve never backpacked in weather <40°, so I have no idea what’s recommended or preferred. I have some old snowboard pants by The North Face, but they get very sweaty and hot when I’m just walking around in them

So what do you use? I’m looking for favorite pants worn while active (e.g., snowshoeing in weather between 0°-30°, possibly windy). I imagine layering is best up top, but don’t know what’s a preferred brand/model of pants these days. I’ve had great luck with Outdoor Research, but I’m open to suggestions. Any favorites you recommend?

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Like you, I found quickly that snow pants weren’t only hot, as many are waterproof, but also too baggy.

I wear some EMS softshell pants I bought a while back. Just the standard type, no extra insulation or waterproofing. If it’s closer to zero, I would simply layer with some long johns.

I would choose standard nylon hiking pants over snow pants.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

If you already have thermal bottoms, try them under your 3-season pants as that may be all you need. When the wind kicks up, layer your rain pants over them or a dedicated wind pant like Houdini’s or Montbell Dynamo.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

I like fleece lined soft-shell pants.  I rarely wear a base layer under them,  They breathe and they stretch, which is good for snowshoeing.  Arcteryx Gamma MX are an example, but there are many others.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I’ve had excellent luck with C9 running pants (Target) last season for Nordic ski tours.

They end up being  light softshell pants very similar to the more expensive cross country ski pants sold by Swix or similar. 

I pair them with thermal layers underneath.  The rare time I find it too windy, some simple wind pants are thrown over them.

The snow here in Colorado tends to be colder and drier as a caveat. Wet and heavy snow may require a different solution.

The other caveat is that I tend to move all day and don’t stop and go too much.

When backpacking, I still take them. I put on my puffy pants at night, though.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Yeah, my experienced is limited, but when messing around with quite active snowshoeing the last couple of winters, I found that I really need to make sure I could regulate temperature in my legs flexibly or I’d get really uncomfortable.   I ended up using layering as described variously above – thermals underneath, regular 3-season quick-dry nylon hiking pants, light waterproof shell.   In the snow, the thing that I found really awkward with layering was that if it’s really cold in the morning, getting the thermals off as you warm up is such a major operation.   But I guess you just have to accept that everything goes slow and steady in winter, you can’t be in too much of a hurry.

Michael Wainfeld
    Spectator

@adox

Locale: EastCoast

I have a pair of REI Acme pants, made with Schoeller fabric, which have been great for winter. Not currently available, but I was in the store the other day, and saw a pair of REI Activator Soft Shell pants which looked very similar.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

+5 for the same nylon pants I wear for the other three seasons combined with whatever weight baselayer thermals under them that I feel are appropriate for the conditions.

I also wear the OR Verglass gaiters to keep snow out of my hiking boots.  They don’t breathe at all and I do find that in all but the coldest of temps, I’ll get some condensation under them.  Not really a deal breaker and I can live with it, but if I had to buy them again, I’d go with a goretex gaiter with the hopes of mitigating this some.

Unlike Paul, most (all?) of our snow shoeing options here in Washington are at a lower elevation than what you would experience in Colorado and as a result, we get the “Cascade Concrete,” warmer temperatures, and it’s not uncommon to ski/snowshoe in rain/snow mix.  This can be a challenging environment to move in and I’ll fully admit that I don’t have the perfect solution for it.

Other than the afore mentioned condensation, which is really not that big of a deal, the gaiters do a good enough job of keeping my knees and below reasonably dry.  My plan for this year is to try wearing a rain kilt to help keep my legs dry from the knees up.  If this fails, I’ll try goretex pants with side zips next.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’m a huge fan of both Buffalo Systems clothing, and for pants specifically, the perhaps easier to find Rab Vapour Rise Light pants. I bought some Buffalo Systems salopettes last year, will be using them this year for the first time. I’ve used their tops for a bit now, love them. I’ve used the Rab Vapour Rise pants for a few years, fabulous in winter.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I use 5.11 brand nylon “tactical” pants (i.e. cargo pants). I treat then with wash-in NilWax DWR and then a top line spray-on like Revivex. These pants are very wind resistant but breathe well enough.

My base layer is usually Cabela’s polyester mid weight long johns. If it is brutally cold I’ll wear  200 weight Polartec fleece pants as well.

As well I use knee-high GTX gaiters.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I have found the REI Mistral pants to be perfect for snowshoeing. They repel snow extremely well.

Of course, REI doesn’t call them that any more, so we’ll have to figure out what current model is closest. — perhaps the Acme model mentioned above. They are made of a stretchy Schoeller-type fabric that is extremely durable and has just the right amount of vapor transfer while blocking wind… at least for me.

Often recommended as well are the Marmot Scree pants.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Ralph,

I ordered some of these:

http://www.kuiu.com/hunting-base-layer/peloton-130-zip-off-bottom/20027.html?cgid=base-layer&dwvar_20027_color=VerdeCamo#start=19

Zip off boot length long underwear!   Might make getting the thermals off a little easier (We’ll see how they work).

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Wow! Thanks for the many awesome suggestions, everyone! Now I’ve got my work cut out for me to figure out which ones will fit me best. Those zip-off baselayers look appealing, but I wonder how cold the zipper would get at night if you sleep in them! I run cold enough I doubt I’ll need to take my baselayers off, even while hiking around.

Sounds like REI might have some of the best options, and they’re having their Labor Day sale! I’ll start there. OR has lots of gaiters to choose from, including a snowshoe-specific one with toe warmers! I might look into those too.

Thanks again!

George H
    BPL Member

@unworhty

Snowshoeing generate a lot of heat. For me a pair of the lightest Capilene long johns and a breathable ultralight shell works best. One of cottage guys made me a pair of wind pants in 1.0 oz. If you tend to run cold maybe expedition weight Capilene and a heavier, more weather resistant shell fabric is better.

Then at camp or breaks (if it is really cold) I put on side zip down pants. Down booties are in the wardrobe too.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have found the REI Mistral pants to be perfect for snowshoeing. They repel snow extremely well.

Of course, REI doesn’t call them that any more, so we’ll have to figure out what current model is closest. — perhaps the Acme model mentioned above. They are made of a stretchy Schoeller-type fabric that is extremely durable and has just the right amount of vapor transfer while blocking wind… at least for me.

I have both. I knew REI might discontinue the Mistral, so I bought a second pair for that eventuality. The Acme pants are a heavier material, so better for even colder weather.

Over the years both disappear from the REI website, then reappear just before winter. So check with them in a couple months.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Over the years both disappear from the REI website, then reappear just before winter. So check with them in a couple months.

OK thanks. I thought they (or the model name, at least) were gone for good.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Rob – thanks, those zip-off pants are a great idea.   That’s an interesting company (KUIU) – it has me googling “ultralight hunting”,  I didn’t realize that there was so much specialized gear out there.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

KUIU makes my favorite lightweight merino blend base layer, it’s a wonderful shirt. Also like their merino glove liners and cap.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

as some have said snowshoeing uphill generates quite a bit of heat … your bigger challenge may well be not overheating on the uphill portions, then freezing from the soaked sweat when still or going down hill

a pair of breathable softshells (theres many brands) is the way to go … if you get the lighter softshells a pair of long underwear underneath may be needed if its cold or you run really cold

when you stop, or get cold … bring a pair of WPB full zip pants, ones that you can put on and off without taking off your snowshoes … this will add substantially to the warmth and wind protection

and always try to refresh the DWR before going snowshoeing on your softshells …

;)

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Ralph,

Interestingly enough, I have never been hunting.  I think I discovered Seek Outside shelters, packs and stoves first, then from there I discovered Sitka, Kuiu, etc.   There are a lot of creative minds in those circles, and there is stuff that can cross over into backpacking, camping, snowshoeing, etc.

I do agree with Eric on the soft shell pants for snowshoeing though…he knows his stuff.

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

I’d like to revisit this because I’m definitely struggling. I’ve tried hiking in standard three season nylon pants but it doesn’t work well for me. In three season, if it rains lightly, the heat I generate generally warms me up and dries me off. While snowshoeing, they works great when it’s sunny because I dry out quickly. However, I’ve found it doesn’t work well if it’s overcast. If I posthole, or trip over something, I end up in the snow. I find that my pants get completely soaked. I need something more water resistant. I’ve tried hiking in full zip rain pants but with the zippers opened up for ventilation. It was OK, but I worry that if I get snow in the sides through the vents, I will never dry out.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Best winter pants I’ve ever used (and still use!) are REI Mistral, which are of course no longer made, and even their successor Acme are not on the REI website any more.

Look for something with a Schoeller or Schoeller-type fabric and pair them with some thin or medium weight long underwear depending upon conditions.

With the Mistral pants I can wallow around in the snow for 1/2 hour with no problem. They are not particularly lightweight but are very durable and warm and, in the winter, UL takes a backseat when it comes to staying warm and dry.

I’ve read that Marmot Scree pants are a close analogy but I have not used those…. although I might have to do so eventually. :^/

Armand C
    BPL Member

@vb242

I went snowshoeing two to three times a weekly all winter

Based upon my experience I give the following suggestions in order of preference.

1. Black Diamond Dawn Patrol LT: Perfect fit, incredibly durable, basically waterproof, and outstanding abrasion resistance. Durable, Schoeller fabric is nearly indestructible, super stretchy. Good pocket venting
    2. Patagonia Simul Alpine – Not too hot, very breathable, bombproof DWR, good fit and pockets. Good wind protection.
    3. Mammut Tatramar – Incredibly well featured and phenomenally weather resistant. Very warm, and keeps even the most brutal gusts out. However they are heavy and bulky. I reserve these for the only sub 20 degree days AND the weather and wind is wrath of God status
    4. Outdoor Research Voodoo – Great fit, ultra light and breathable. Okay weather resistance, average DWR. Super comfortable, stretchy and slim cut.
    5. Adidas Techrock – Good all around pants for milder days. Decent DWR
    6. Marmot Scree – Hot, feels less breathable, bulkier feeling than the above. Durable fabric. Solid weather resistance
    7. Outdoor Research Ferrosi Pants – It better be warmer, no wind, and little to no precipitation or you will hate life
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

For women, check out Duluth Trading Post’s Black Hills Water Repellent Pants.  These are soft shell pants with water repellent surface.  Combined with OR Verglas gaiters, these worked great for me this winter.

Alternatively, hop over to the Alternative to Waterproof Breathable Rainwear thread, and look at the comments about active rainwear layers, as used by the military.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

I ended up with Mammut Eismeer pants. It has removable gaiters and is highly water resistant with reinforced knees and inner legs (crampon protection?). They were perfect for this season’s winter in Southern Oregon. They also have a “Spring” version of this pant that has fewer features, more lightweight, and not quite as warm. I tried the suggestions of using my 3-season water resistant hiking pants, but I was just too cold. Maybe this Spring as it warms up!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools