Topic

Best Winter Backpacking- Eastern US

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Best Winter Backpacking- Eastern US

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kevin R
    BPL Member

@kevinr

I help lead a winter group trip every year, and am looking for some recommendations for new locations. The past two years we have gone to Grayson Highlands/Mount Rogers and New Jersey- Delaware Water Gap north. We also have done quite a bit at Dolly Sods and Seneca Creek during the fall. Having grown up near Shenandoah, I have done most of the trails around there, and most of the AT in VA. I am mostly looking for a location that will provide some variety for myself, as well as something interesting for everyone else. Ideally, we’d like to go not much farther than 5 hours from DC, have ample camping locations, two nights/15-20 miles, and loop holes would be preferred. Any recommendations?

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

I’m personally fond of the Great Smokies this time of year and have a 5 day trip scheduled in 3 weeks. Good chance of snow, low or no crowds off of the AT, and spectacular vistas. I’ve been on the AT this time of year and the only footprints were mine. Might be further than you’re wanting but lots of possibilities. Have fun and stay warm!

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

If you could relax your 5 hour requirement, winter backpacking and mountaineering in the Adirondacks can be fantastic.  But it may be too far for your group.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools