Topic

Best wind shirts?!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

If you already have/had a rain shell you plan to keep for a while longer (as tech develops to deliver a one-shell solution for rain & wind), what are the best wind shirts?  Low CFM high MVTR.  I would really appreciate a response on this.  I’ve read the great research (thanks Stephen & others) & am looking for a net/net on a wind shirt.  Or Helium Wind Hoodie? EE Copperfield? Houdini?  The sales are on & I want to upgrade from a fauxdini to a wind shirt that pairs well with my Alpha Direct.  THANKS!!

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Montbell Ex Light or Tachyon Parka

“as tech develops to deliver a one shell solution to rain and wind”

I too enjoyed reading Stephen’s findings even if they were technically a little over my head, but I don’t think I saw mentioned what is probably the closet to being a viable hybrid (rain/wind) jacket and that’s the Berghaus Hyper 100 3 layer Hydroshell Elite Pro. MVTR rating of 50,000 and HH of 20,000. I haven’t bought one (yet) because I’d have to order from the UK, however from all the research I’ve done it’s probably as close to being dual function as anything that’s come along so far. Some members on another thread which pondered the idea of such a hybrid shot down the concept of a rain/wind jacket saying it’s not realistic…. yea whatever. I hardly ever hike in sustained rainfall for more than about 30 minutes anyway before I stop to pitch a tarp, so the eventual wetting out of a sub 4 oz (M) Hyper 100 wouldn’t be a big issue for me on 2 season SUL missions. https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-waterproof-shell-c51/waterproof-jackets-c203/hyper-100-shell-jacket-p7219

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

The EE Copperfield in 7D and an alpha direct fleece make for a very versatile set of layers that only weighs a little over 5 oz. The Copperfield in 7D feels noticeably more breathable than my Montbell Tachyon. Timmermade has some interesting windshirts too.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Thanks Monte and John for your input.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I’m not up on the newer materials, but I’m a big fan of my 3 Marmot wind shirts (REI had a killer sale on them a few years ago). They are made from Pertex Quantum. I applied a DWR treatment to the back and shoulders, which nicely repels a mild rain shower. If the rain lasts awhile I just get under a big tree and wait it out.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have an EE Copperfield in 10d. I love the thing. I wear it all the time in normal life. I can’t tell you if it’s “the best” but I’m happy with it. One of the best things about it is how small it packs down. I can carry it in a small fanny pack along with all my other stuff. I used to have a Houdini and I loved that thing too. It also fit in my small fanny pack and it had the benefit of not looking quite as shiny as the Copperfield.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Timmermade is using a material for windshirts called Hyper D. The 20d fabric is said to be more breathable than Argon 90. The pullover weighs 1.9 oz. At $95 looks like a bargain. Full zip is 2.5 oz. adds $35. Custom sizing avai!able. May have to try with my quarterly bonus check! Doesn’t look shiny either.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Thanks, looks like the EE Copperfield is a fave and the Timmermade Hyper D is interesting.  Wish we had some (Seeber-type) data on CFM and MVTR.  Nice to have the comparison of the Copperfield to the Tachyon.

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

I wouldnt worry about MVTR at all in a windshirt – the most important thing is the level of wind you want it to block. If you run cold or are going to be in a crazy windy and cold environment then you want something with a lower CFM. If you run warm and are in highly variable environments then probably a higher CFM.

Personally I do not think MVTR translates well to real world moisture dumping – its a very specific test and comes up with some interesting results but I do not have much faith in it.

Keep in mind that regardless of how well a fabric passes moisture the level at which you can produce moisture is going to be far higher and also far more variable. If you run warm and buy one just based on MVTR and are then overheated the entire time you are gonna end up a lot wetter than something with questionable MVTR and the right amount of airflow to keep you in a more comfortable zone.

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

Take a look at the Zpacks Ventum. There’s a review here on BPL. It’s 1.6 oz. Not waterproof, but with today’s weather forecasts (at least in the Sierra), I know if the Ventum will do, or if I need to take my waterproof-breathable.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

for the EE fabrics, the weight is porportional to the CFM.  – “Our 20D is around 1cfm, which is considered nearly windproof. 10D is around 10cfm, so it’s highly wind-resistant. 7D is around 35cfm.”

Membrane 7 is 6-7cfm per RSBTR.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Bumping this thread. What are people wearing for windshirts these days?

I might go another season using the Montbell Versalite as both rain and wind shell, but I’m not in love with it (yet). I ordered a Stretch Terre Planing hoody and Light and Variable hoody off Patagonia Worn Wear, but these are not exactly the pack-it-in-a-pocket type.

From what I gather, the leading contenders are:

EE Copperfield 7D

EE Copperfield 10D

Houdini Air

MH Kor Airshell

MB Tachyon

BD Distance Shell

Rab Vital

Any votes for the above? The Tachyon and EE are mentioned here in this thread. How about the bigger brands? Anyone go this direction?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

When backpacking I find myself using a supplex shirt for bug/sun protection which unfortunately blocks more wind that I would like.  But this means I wait longer before adding a shell. When I really need a shell I have been using a shakedry shell (gorewear h7 and now montbell peak dry) which is for both rain and wind.

I haven’t tried the EE Copperfield but it sounds nearly ideal.

I loved my Tachyon until it was lost a couple of years ago.  I borrowed a friends MH Kor for a weekend and really liked it, pockets!

One other shell that I think should be on the list in the BD Alpine Start. Slightly bulkier / heavier than some of the other options… but way more durable, just the right amount of air permeability, more water resistant than any of wind shirt I have used. Biggest ding the the neck when hood is on is overly tight.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

I wish that I could see supplex and taslan in person, so that I would know what you guys are talking about. :)

My Columbia Silver Ridge Light PFG shirt is versatile and more wind-resistant than expected. I call it “~50 CFM” based on my coffee filters. It is good enough for 20 mph winds in 45F/7C weather.

I have an EE Copperfield in 10D. It weighs 2 oz and squishes tiny in the pack (tennis ball size). It is passably breathable, and not at all resistant to water. It is a good windshirt for the pack, but you will need other protection if it rains.

My OR Ferrosi is a really terrific soft shell. Very breathable. I wear it in most conditions under about 50F/10C (except real rain). Weighs 14.5oz, so better for wearing than for packing. Works great in light rain or snow, but wets through in moderate to heavy rain.

OR Helium Wind Hoody breathes as well as a good WPB. By that I mean, “not great for a windshirt”, although it suffices in a pinch. It is more water resistant.

My PCU L4 by Patagonia is Gen II. It is more than sufficiently water-resistant (with permanent DWR), but has lackluster breathability. Weighs 9 oz, so is neither featherweight nor as versatile as I had hoped. I suspect it performs like a heavyweight version of the regular Houdini.

BD Alpine Start is the most balanced and versatile wind garment I have tried. Not quite as breathable as the Ferrosi, but can probably resist a little more rain. More breathable than other windshirts I have tried. About 8 oz. I did not have a problem with the neck.

So Ferrosi for comfort, Copperfield for packability, Alpine Start for versatility, L4 for rain resistance. Note that the Alpine Start weighs and packs three times larger/heavier than the Copperfield, so you pay a price for the extra water resistance. Alpine Start is still half the weight of Ferrosi.

There is no perfection; only tradeoffs. It is not crazy to own different garments for different conditions.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Thanks guys! I will try on an Alpine Start, both of those reports sound good, and others I’ve read elsewhere.

Mark – I’m also curious about the Supplex / Taslan mention. Roger says he uses that exclusively as a one-layer system. Is there a particular piece you use? And to take another tangent, have you tried on an Airshed Pro? It could possibly be used in that same way. It’s some version of Pertex Quantum Air, matte finish, but tough. I sized one up size to layer a t-shirt under on winter runs, but I may try it as a sun / wind / everything layer on it’s own this summer.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have had good results from OWFINC in the past.
    You could try a search for “Taslan” at their web site https://www.owfinc.com/

Cheers

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I haven’t been following who is making clothing from supplex because I already have mine and still has a number of years of life provided I don’t have an unpleasant encounter with granite :).  When I purchased mine (maybe 10-15 years ago) it was commonly used by a lot of outdoor / travel oriented clothing companies for shirts and sometimes pants. You might check railriders… one of the supplex shirts that I retired was made by them.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

If someone wants to send me an EE Copperfield in 7D, 10D or 20D, I would be happy to measure Air perm, MVTR and HH.  PM me to make arrangements.  I will need it for no more than a week.  Any garment sent to me should be washed before sending and in good condition.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

I would be interested to see how the Dooy jacket sold on Amazon performs.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dooy-Cycling-Protection-Windbreaker-Windproof/dp/B07ZM8NWCH

More on the breathable side vs. wind blocking. Weighs 3oz for XXL.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

I have been offered a  Copperfield 10D for testing.  I can still use a 7D and 20D.

LARRY W
    Spectator

@larry-w

Baja Bob I’ve got a Dooy jacket at 2.6oz. in medium. As you know that is probably the most breathable jacket out there. If I had to guess probably 40/50% wind penetration. Great for running with alpha. Definitely not what the original poster wanted though. You can blow through the collar with the hood inside.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools