Topic

best value for light wool t-shirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) best value for light wool t-shirt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Looking to replace lightweight capilene with less smelly light wool. I have some stanfields and some bike jerseys that are too heavy for warm weather. What are the lightest wool shirts that are also good value?

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I recently got a couple Icebreaker Amplify series merino/poly blend. 120 weight, very breathable. Dries much faster than 100% wool. I got it in the off-white stone color and its a very cool shirt that a breeze easily goes through. I wore it for 3 days straight last trip and it didnt smell bad at the end, so the wool was still doing its job.

I dont think they were cheap, but I would still consider them a good value. I’ll be using this as a primary hot weather shirt until it gets into the upper 80s, then I’ll go to my 100% poly Reel Legends Reel-Tec white shirt. That is the lightest/coolest summer shirt I have found. Both are worth a look in my book.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Might want to take a look at Montbell too.  Mine is the long sleeve super light merino but they make a short sleeve as well.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

My recommendation tends to come from Decathlon, but unfortunately, they seem to be out at the moment. I think Covid has disrupted their production. I noticed some issues last spring alaso. Perhaps you can set an alert for your size and see what happens? I have been super happy with this top:

https://www.decathlon.com/products/mens-travel-backpacking-merino-wool-t-shirt-travel-100-106265?adept-product=mens-travel-backpacking-merino-wool-t-shirt-travel-100-106265&adept_product_id=mens-travel-backpacking-merino-wool-t-shirt-travel-100-106265&source=search

Being Euro sizing, I recommend going up a size from your standard American one for an athletic fit that is not skin tight. If you want lose fitting, then I suggest two sizes up.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I second the Decathlon options. I’ve got a couple LS shirts, they’ve been holding up well.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

The Decathlon line looks great! Reminds me of a merino shirt I had from Mammut that discontinued. Been looking for a proper replacement since

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools