Topic

Best SUL quilt – FF Flicker, EE Convert, or…?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Best SUL quilt – FF Flicker, EE Convert, or…?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Heidi
    BPL Member

@jungledev

I have an FF Murre EX 0 bag (love the quality, but it’s overkill and bulky) and my partner has an EE Enigma (love the fabric, packability, and instant warmth but I hate the footbox.)

I’m a cold side sleeper and I need my legs to feel unconfined.

Requirements –

<240z/680g

Opens completely flat (no closed footbox)

at least 30°F warmth rating

Down, waterproof is ideal

Somewhat usable for two people (currently, we share an EE with a closed footbox – so we’re willing to be really close)

Able to be used as a sleeping bag too (This is why I’m thinking FF Flicker / EE Convert because they zip

Ideal but I haven’t found it yet –

Quilt that fully zips, but also has pad attachments.  I think I like the idea of pad attachments, but I haven’t tried them yet and I’m not sure I really will.

Somewhere I saw a quilt that had a little insulated folded foot pocket that could be used even when the quilt was open flat.  Anyone know of that model?

Between the Flicker and the Convert, it looks like it’s a matter of preference and not of price.  Aside from that, they seem pretty equal in many regards.  I’m comparing 950fp, 30°F, wide versions.

These quilts are nearly identical in specs and price, but the FF is 3″ wider at the top and the EE is 1.8-2.20z lighter for relatively equal dimensions.  Which would you pick, and why?

I’m concerned the EE 30 won’t be anywhere near as warm as the FF 30.  Wdyt?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Both great companies. I’d also take a look at the Katabatic Flex series of quilts.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Wondering, does your partner have a newer Enigma?  They redesigned the foot box not too long ago.

Heidi
    BPL Member

@jungledev

Not sure – He bought it about a year ago.  Regardless, I just really don’t like footboxes.  I grew up in the tropics, barefoot, with light blankets.  Can’t stand having my feet in a bag.  Good to know they redesigned it.

idester – what do you like about the Katabatic quilts?  I haven’t researched them.

Although I’m trying to ignore price, I am in the EU, so it would be great if I could find an option on this side of the pond… although I expect I’ll end up having one of these imported.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The flex series has a drawstring footbox, which I prefer (I generally keep mine open a bit, my feet like a bit of air). You can unzip them to use them as a blanket, which you seemed to say you wanted. The company is well known and liked here on BPL.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

I am a massive fan of the flicker.  In fact, it is the only design I will ever use.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I have a FF Flicker, can’t say enough about how good the quality is.  I’ve owned several EE quilts and the quality is good as well.

I do see that the Convert is available in Extra Wide; if you’re considering occasional use for two- that might be a better option.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I am in the EU, so it would be great if I could find an option on this side of the pond

Have you looked at Cumulus in Poland? They have a good reputation for quality according to many posters on trek-lite.

Heidi
    BPL Member

@jungledev

As always, awesome replies.

I’ve not heard of Cumulus.  I’ll take a look at that and katabatic, and try to post some spec comparisons for those here later if anyone is interested.

Mike M- yes, I was thinking about the extra-wide.  I’m trying to strike a balance between ‘not awful for two’ and ‘not so big for one that the added interior volume takes longer for me to get+stay warm’.  I should measure the shoulder width for two laying side by side.

Idester- yes, I think when I’m solo, I’ll love having it partly zipped and open on the bottom.

I wish there was a sheet cover that I could zip one of these to.

Too bad the ZenBivy is just sooo heavy.

IIRC, my FF Murre has an extra thick baffle at the zipper – is it the same for the Flicker, at the zipper and footbox?  That is a major bonus design factor if using this as a quilt for two.

I’m well aware that I want the one-quilt-checks-all-boxes nonsense.  One can hope…

Right now, we use two TR uberlite pads (8oz ea), two Exped Hyper M Mat sheets (only 3.3oz ea), Sea to Summit Pad coupler kit (0.6 oz), and one EE Enigma (~21oz), with a TT DR Li tent (27oz) = 4.5lbs for a two-person sleep system.  It’s not the most comfortable.  It would be great if TR made an uberlite duo, or if Exped’s duomat was significantly lighter.  Considering switching from two single mat sheets to one double mat sheet to prevent the pads from slipping around more.  This quilt would round out the kit quite nicely.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

It would be great if TR made an uberlite duo…

You can glue two Uberlites together using spinakker or DCF tape. I’ve done this with both Uberlites and X-lites. It will invalidate your warranty, though.

<div id=”kpm-root” class=”kpm_LTR”></div>

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools