Topic

Best Reasonably Priced 4-Season Shelter for Beginners?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Reasonably Priced 4-Season Shelter for Beginners?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

I’m trying to find a reasonably priced 4-season shelter that I can recommend to beginners who are just joining our hiking group. They will start off with 3-season hiking and soon graduate to more difficult winter and desert hiking. I am happy with my Ultamid but realize that it’s not for everyone.

I narrowed it down to the Stratospire 2 in Silnylon for the following reasons that seem attractive to first-time buyers:

1. 4 season.
    2. Reasonably priced: $359.
    2. Generous floor width: 62 in./52 in.
    3. Mesh interior usable by itself for hot desert nights; fully enclosed for scorpions etc.
    4. Relatively lightweight: 2.74 lbs (1.79 lbs in DCF)

I considered HMG and MLD, but the sticker shock might scare off first time buyers. Durston does not offer 4-season shelters or a separable mesh interior.

Any others worth considering?

Hunter
    BPL Member

@mrh

SS2 is 4-season? I would think the Durston tent would be pretty comparable to the storm worthiness of the SS2 and the mesh can be pitched by itself.

Nemo Kunai is a little heavier and more spendy but good for 3-4 season use.

Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

Tarptent’s Tent Selector option lists the SS2 as a four-season shelter, with this in the description: “…save weight and use your trekking poles for a strong, wind and snow stable setup.” Haven’t been able to find a picture showing the Durston with mesh only.

Hunter
    BPL Member

@mrh

Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

Thanks for the link.

Ryan Jordan’s comment on the Durston X-Mid and the Tarptent Dipole (here: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/tarptent-dipole-li-review/#comments) suggest that these aren’t really 4-season.

Hunter
    BPL Member

@mrh

I wouldn’t think any trekking pole tent would be a true 4 season tent but maybe that’s just me.

His comments were referring to the x-mid pro though which is a lighter single wall tent.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

I would call a Strat 2 a 3.5 season tent.  The design is pretty durable and solid, but big weather would start to push the limits beyond my personal comfort level.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I think the X-Mid 2 is very similar to the Stratospire 2 in terms of weather capability, where both tents can be used in all 4 seasons but aren’t “4-season tents”.

I don’t think Tarptent claims the Stratospire is a 4-season tent. On the Stratospire page they list it as “3-4 season”. Their tent finder does say “use in all 4 seasons” but that is subtly different from “4 season tent”. I think they are saying you can use it in the winter, but not saying it is a “4-season tent” which generally means more than just winter use to also mean you can pitch it basically anywhere (e.g. exposed spots) during extreme storms (e.g. mountaineering use) and expect it to be fine. I don’t think Tarptent is suggesting that, and I don’t think any tent that uses 20D fabrics is up for that (the Strat is now 20D poly like the X-Mid) because 20D fabric is just too light for extreme storms regardless of the tent design.

My guess is that the beginner hikers in your group do not actually need a “4-season” tent but just need a 3+ season tent where you can use it in the winter as long as it’s not extreme snowfalls. Both the X-Mid and Strat work well for this, with each having some advantages but probably both are quite sufficient. As it pertains to winter/snow performance, the key advantage of the X-Mid is that the wall slopes are steeper so it sheds snow better, whereas the Strat has shallower roof panels that would be less inclined to shed snow – but really both are going to be fine if we’re just talking 2-6″ of snow. I suggest that more meaningful differences to the beginner hikers in your group would be the simpler pitch and lighter weight of the X-Mid. The X-Mid 2 is just as spacious as the Stratospire 2 but less expensive, already seam taped, simpler pitch, smaller footprint, and about 6oz lighter.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I had an MSR Access 1p ultralight tent listed on gear swap if you or anyone interested.. Brand new condition.. Nice price.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Think light vs heavy snow loads need to be looked at more, as most decently sewn silnylon “mids” or something similar could handle a bit of snow.  Same with framed tents.  Now heavy snow can make a difference.

Also snow is where some UL waterproof/breathable bivy sacks shine (assuming adequate volume, etc..).

Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

Thank you Dan. Your comments are helpful.

>> My guess is that the beginner hikers in your group do not actually need a “4-season” tent but just need a 3+ season tent where you can use it in the winter as long as it’s not extreme snowfalls.

After their first few of years of monthly hiking, where they will see 3 to 4 season weather of all kinds, they will be doing two extremes: a three week trek to K2 base camp where any condition is possible and a three week desert expedition where winter storms (ie. rain and/or sand storms) are expected.

I would like to stay with non freestanding tents. What is the most reasonably priced 4-season shelter that beginners just joining our hiking group can grow into?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Wow you are getting those beginners right into the fun stuff!

For trekking pole tents, single pole tents (“mids”) have a low profile to the wind since they have so little headroom. This makes them very good for high winds, but less so for snow because the walls are shallower sloped such that snow does not typically slide off the tent but rather pushes in the sidewalls substantially. Dual pole tents tend to be the opposite (steeper walls with better snow shedding but lesser wind performance). I personally think calling single pole mids 4-season shelters is a bit of a stretch too, as they are among the least suited shapes for handling big snow falls, but they do very well in high winds.

Companies will vary in what ratings they give their tents since it’s subjective, but as I said earlier I don’t any tent with 20D fabric qualities as 4-season. They can do quite well for stiff winds and moderate snowfalls, but not extreme winds (60-70 mph) and big snowfalls (12-24″). The X-Mid, Stratospire, and non-DCF MLD produts are all 20D, so you might want to look to Black Diamond if you want 30D (e.g. Beta Light, Mega Mid).

Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

Dan, I think high winds will be a bigger issue for us than heavy snowfalls, though for the latter we will still have to be prepared. I am partial to mids. Can you suggest a tough, low-priced mid?

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

If looking at one pole mids, one possible source of inexpensive mids is Oware. Owner Dave Olsen/Olson posts here once in a while.

https://bivysack.com/shop/ols/categories/tarps

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

Are people camping in places where it snows one foot an hour? :)

Maybe from severe snow drift in high winds?

Snow load has never even been anything I ever considered too much, as I make it habit to clear snow from the shelter during the day and night. Can’t sleep 12 hours, so got to do something, eh? It’s the wind that always posed the largest issue.

If I’m getting epic snow, then I probably have enough snow to build an igloo right proper quick, even with a tarp cap instead of snow cap. Igloos just get better and better the more it snows and are practically hurricane proof when done right. It’s how I always roll with our winter Rainier snow storm trips.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I think the cheapest 4-season will likely be a classic pyramid.  Besides the cottage gear makers you might keep on the lookout for a discounted tarp from Black Diamond, MSR, or a used GoLite.

Jonas H
    BPL Member

@jonas-h

Just a thought — if you plan on dessert hiking or hiking in very windy places, a solid inner is advisable to keep blowing sand and drafts at bay. Both Stratospire and X-mid are offered with options of mostly solid inners (they still have some netting for ventilation that cannot be closed). I think you may also need a footprint for either of those tents in the Himalayas — as I remember from hiking in Ladakh, it is very rocky (on softer terrain, my experience with both Stratospire and X-mid is that they are fine without a footprint if you take care not to pitch it on anything sharp). But I do not know what the K2 trail looks like, so consider this just a thought to look into.

I like both of those tents, but I would not take them to extreme conditions without somehow verifying that they are strong enough. As Dan mentions, they are, after all, lightweight tents made of lightweight fabric.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

For truely expedition worthy tents that you can use at K2 basecamp forget budget – get something proven and bombproof.  For Solo use I would pick a single pole mid like the MLD Duomid, HMG Ultamid 2, or Locus Gear Khufu with a solid inner.   Sure you could get something cheap like the Lanshan 1 but do you really trust a $140 tent in extreme conditions?  I don’t, be safe and get a proven shelter, despite it costing more.

The X-mid is a nice shelter, I use a 1P as my primary shelter, but I don’t think I’d trust it at K2 Basecamp – not enough guyout points, and I don’t think the silpoly would hold us as well in those conditions either.  It’s awesome in most environments, but what you are looking for in the fringe of  what even the most bomber UL tents are able to able to handle.  Most people would use a heavy (and super expensive) mountaineering tent for that type of trip.

Also don’t skimp on stakes.  Take plenty of good stakes.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Is the K2 trek guided or not?  Seems like if guided, the guide outfit would provide the tents.

BTW When I look at photos of K2 basecamp, the tents are all mountaineering tents spread over a field of talus and scree which raises the skill level needed to pitch a pyramid in the face of high winds.

Also, how long will folks be staying at basecamp.  If they are “basecamping” at base camp, they might want a double walled dome tent for the extra comfort and convenience.

I myself would be looking at 2 person tents from Hilleberg and Slingfin for that kind of trek and leave my trusty MLD Duomid at home.

Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

The K2 base camp trek is a small self-guided team carrying lightweight mids with one, possibly two, porters carrying emergency mountaineering shelters should winds start picking up over 100 km/hr (~60 mph). It’s a summer trek so things should mostly be calm, but just in case, we may have to bide our time through extreme winds inside a Hilleberg. Base camp will be touch and go, maybe just one zero day, given the difficulty of the walk, altitude (17,700 at base camp), lack of resupply, and my innate belt-and-suspenders conservatism. Waiting to hear from Ron at MLD and Dylan at HMG what the safety threshold for wind is on their Duomid and Ultamid, respectively.

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

If your an American Alpine club member Big Agnes has huge discounts on some items (like huge as in 60%). That would put the Shield line of tents in your budget range which are super super nice.

Another sleeper is the Terra Nova Blizzard 2 tunnel tent. Goes on sale occasionally.

If you can get Slingfin somehow in budget I would also highly recommend those.

And then finally I am a big fan of Seek Outside shelters (especially floorless in the snow).

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I’d look long and hard at the Big Sky Revolution 1P w/ solid interior @ $375, or, if you can stretch a bit, the MSR Hubba Hubba 1P @ $410 – with a 20% off coupon that can be had for $328.00.

Both have mostly solid interiors, and both are pretty light, as well as snow-worthy.

https://bigskyinternational.com/collections/tents-and-shelters/products/big-sky-revolution-1p-tent

https://www.msrgear.com/tents/backpacking-tents/hubba-hubba-1-person-backpacking-tent/11505.html?avad=189374_c291c876d&utm_source=152258&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_term=ale&utm_content=189374&utm_campaign=ale

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools