Topic

Best practices for cutting DCF?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Best practices for cutting DCF?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Sorry to keep asking questions. I don’t want to blow it.

1. Cut only one layer at a time, or fold and cut 2 layers? Seems too slippery to cut 2 layers.
    2. Use scissors?
    3. Best way to cut straight?
    4. Can you use the selvage edge to make single-sided tape? Too weak for that?
    Claiborne B
    BPL Member

@cbrown2019

Best to cut one layer at a time.

You can use scissors, but only in the push method on lighter weight dynemma. The scissors will dull rapidly. I wouldn’t suggest them. Instead use a utility knife or x-acto knife where the blades can be replaced. Always use a self healing mat underneath or a surface that you don’t mind cutting.

You can use selvage for  single sided tape. You can use your double sided tape for this. However, it doesn’t make great field repair tape due to the long curing time.

I like drawing my cut lines with a pen, or useing painters tape, before cutting on the wrong side of the dynemma. I’ve tried a ruler, but the material is slippery and the ruler position is a battle while cutting.

Hope this helps.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

I like to sharpen my utility knife with a fine sharpening stone each session. It comes out sharper than a  new blade and you can reuse the blade for nearly ever. Hold the blade at about the angle of the factory edge and rub back and forth without lifting the blade. This helps maintain a constant angle. Do this on one side a couple of dozen passes, flip over and do the other side.

Repeat often.

A metal edge guide held by weights (I use lots of 5 lb plates from an old dumbbell set) is useful on straight lines. I cut on a large piece of hardyboard.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I was thinking it would be good to draw the shapes to cut with a pen. What kind of pen should I use? I don’t want the marks from a black sharpie to show, for example.

Pierre Descoteaux
    BPL Member

@pierre

I’m no expert but I’ve used Sharpies for all my projects.  It does make for some interesting lines when you make mistakes.  Although alcohol could solve those.

I did use scissors (Ti coated) at first and moved on to rotary cutters. I now use exacto. I like them best. I would like to try high end scissors but the $$ is a big deterrent.

Cheers

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Yes, another vote for the exacto knife. I see 2 sizes at stores and I buy the larger ones (far left of pic). Must change blades often though. DCF laughs at scissors, at least the 1.0 does anyway. Rotary cutters are good for silnylons.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I have one like the one on the far right. The problem with a knife though is that I do not have a large, smooth, hard surface on which to cut. I have a little bit of carpeted floor or my bed. Will scissors not work at all?

Pierre Descoteaux
    BPL Member

@pierre

New scissors work fine for small projects especially on straight cuts. I’m lacking the words…. cutting through without opening and closing the scissors works very well on lighter weight cuben.  The blades get dull on bigger projects and then it gets frustrating! I cut on a 2’x3′ self healing mat. Hope it makes sense.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

“I cut on a large piece of hardyboard.

It comes in various sizes.

You can store it in the garage etc.

this is the type of inexpensive stone I use on utility blades

Claiborne B
    BPL Member

@cbrown2019

For a cutting surface, a small piece of plywood 2′ x 2′ works fine, a medium sized kitchen cutting board also works, really any surface thats flat and you don’t mind cutting. Doesn’t have to be the size of your project.

A ball point pen or a sharpie works well for marking the fabric. I use a yellow sharpie mostly on larger projects and a bic on smaller.

Its easier if you make a prototype of your project out of tyvek before cutting the dynemma. Use the tyvek as a template.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Yellow sharpie. That would be a good solution to avoid leaving a visible mark.

My tape still has not arrived. Another weekend goes by without being able to work on my project.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

I’ve been using 1/8th inch thick hdpe, known here as puck board. Comes in full size sheets that can be rolled up to bring home in the back of the car.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools