Topic

Best online website or video for learning compass navigation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Best online website or video for learning compass navigation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I’ve been reading and enjoying the discussion about cell phone nav. I’d like to brush up on my compass and map skills. I tried an REI in person course and it was terrible; the poor gal teaching really didn’t know what she was doing, and had us all 180 degrees off. I actually read a map fairly well, just using the compass in combination that I’m weak at, since I hardly need it and rarely use it.

What is the best website or video on it? Don’t tell me to read a book; I’ve tried and they’re all good for insomnia, not so good for learning. I just want to relearn.

Kathleen B.
    BPL Member

@alpine-pedestrian

The Columbia River Orienteering Club videos are excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoaYxGKAtMnSnVVEGDWs-6g/videos

Ray J
    BPL Member

@rhjanes

I’ve been doing the sport of Orienteering about 11 years now.  I’ve been doing advanced for about 9.  That said, I’m not sure where you reside at.  But many states and areas have Orienteering organizations.  At our meets (we run during the school year) we always have a beginners clinic.  We can loan out base-plate compass’s.  You can hang around after any event and find folks that would be happy to discuss the map and routes and how to navigate better. Also, it is about the cheapest sport you can do.  Base plate compass and some old pants and you are starting out.  Expensive compass’s, orienteering gaiters and thorn knickers can all happen later.  Look into it for your area.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools