Topic

Best lightweight one-person tent for above-treeline use

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best lightweight one-person tent for above-treeline use

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Reto Baumann
    BPL Member

@rbaumann

Hi all

I’m looking for a good single person tent for use in the European alps (mostly) above treeline for 3-season use. It has to accomodate a wide pad (25″) and allow for a 6 feet hiker enough room while sleeping (i.e. head / feet not touching the walls).

Packability is probably more important than weight per se. Trecking poles are an option as they are used anyway on the hikes. The tent should provide a “safe house” in a thunderstorm with heavy rain and winds up to 40mph.

I already own a Zpacks Triplex, but would like to get something smaller for solo trips. Based on my research I find the Aeon LI very interesting. The Notch Li is also tempting but seems a bit too narrow for a wide pad (and some gear). The StratoSpire Li would also be an interesting option. Any other considerations or recommendations?

regards
    reto

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

MLD Solomid XL is one to consider.

Enyaw
    Spectator

@enyaw

I was going to recommend looking at Tarptents, but looks like you’re already there.

They don’t get a lot of love, but Marmot tents, while not the lightest, make some of the most robust tents out there.

I love my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2, it’s not the most streamlined to setup- though it’s not hard, but you can’t argue with the pack weight, size, or comfort inside the tent.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

If you value packability over weight, you might want to consider a silnylon/silpoly tent. You’ll get a much smaller packed size.

How about a mid? I find a rectangular mid much easier to pitch than my old Duplex and I appreciate the modular approach which allows me to use an inner or bivy depending on the trip.

You might look at an MLD Solomid XL or a Durston XMid.

Alex F
    BPL Member

@alejandro

The Aeon Li is a bomber tent but doesn’t have the best packability due to the 5 carbon poles it uses I found. I just picked up an Altaplex from Zpacks for the same type of conditions you’re talking about; It packs down very small and only 15oz. I do most of my trips in Scotland and Wales, where strong winds are part of the game and the Altaplex is supposed to be pretty bomber if pitched lower to the ground. Also, I find I can take my pack inside even with my larger pad (25×78).
    As Brad mentioned, the MLD Solomid XL is outstanding in strong winds. I personally preferred to go with an all in one setup as opposed to having a separate inner and outer but that’s def a personal choice.
    Finally I can also vouch for my HMG Dirigo 2 tent but it doesn’t pack down very small (about the same as your triplex), which is the main reason I went with the Altaplex.
    Lots of options! Cheers

carl v
    Spectator

@c-von-meij

Locus gear khufu with half or 2/3 inner. There is a ‘grande’ option for some extra length and head room. Also there is the option of an inverted T-zipper.

Good packability, great workmanship, maybe marginally heavier than Zpacks/Tarptent, but (by my estimation) more durable / bomber for it.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

When I’m camping “above” treeline, it is because I’m north of treeline, but the criteria is the same and makes me think of a pyramid more than any other configuration.  And extra guy lines to reach out to the larger rocks, etc, that you’ll tie into.

Consider experimenting with some anchors like rock-climbing pro: a cord or wire secured to a nut or toggle or stick you can wedge into the crack between two rocks.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Some of the trails “above treeline” in the alps do not allow “camping” – defined as using a tent, or otherwise restrict when and how to use one. Something to look at if you are going on a particular trail.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’ve used my Tarptent Moment DW for 4 season and it is very versatile. (“solid” inner tent)

That said I would also use my similar TT Notch Li (Dyneema) double wall tent above the tree line in winds to 30 mph.and gusts to 40 with an additional 4 stakes in the fly hem stake loops I’ve added. (Also has a “solid” inner – but “solid” in TT terms means upper side mesh ventilation areas.)

These two tents excel in ventilation compared to other solo double wall tents but they can also be “buttoned up” in bad storms.

Reto Baumann
    BPL Member

@rbaumann

@Eric… thanks, the Notch Li would be my favorite choice but it is too narrow for my taste. Hopefully Tarptent will add 5 inches to the width at some point at some point in the future. Imho this would allow a more comfortable fit for wide pads.

I never really considered a mid… don’t know exactly why… I always thought that the pole in the middle would be somewhat restrictive. But I might be wrong. Will look into these options as well, thanks for the hints.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

The Stratosphire 1 by Tarptent or the MLD Trailstar. The former being likely better at snow load with the latter potentially being the best high wind shelter available.

John Baltzell
    BPL Member

@baltzell

“You might look at an MLD Solomid XL or a Durston XMid.”

I have used both shelters in the Weminuche above tree line with no problems buffeting their infamous afternoon thunderstorms or getting them up quick when a storm comes rolling in fast.

I have the MLD Solo Mid XL in both DCF and Silnylon and the Silnylon packs up appreciably smaller. Also though the Mid’s are advertised as center pole shelters I have always used two poles in an inverted “V” to open up the middle and in at least my mind give the sides of the shelter a little more structure.

Can’t go wrong with either one.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

“I always thought that the pole in the middle would be somewhat restrictive.”

Using a dual pole setup like John mentions can address this issue.

Also consider a mid with an asymmetrical peak (MLD Solomid XL, for example).

Or Durston’s X-Mid with two poles addresses this issue. Also, the setup is an absolute bargain if you are unsure and just want to try something out.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools