Topic

Best Lightweight BP Tents for Scouts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Lightweight BP Tents for Scouts

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Christopher V
    BPL Member

@thevonz

Our troop is fairly new to backpacking, but the leaders of the troop are very experienced backpackers.  In this day and age, looking for recommendations on good, inexpensive lightweight backpacking tents (an oxymoron, right) that will hold up to the rigors of boys 11-16 but won’t be a huge burden for them to carry.  Thanks!

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I have an Appy Trails Mark V and it worked well the couple of times I used it, though I’ve never in bad weather.  The fabric is PU coated and certainly feel more robust against the types of damage done by kids than some of the really light fabrics.  A tarp might be cheaper, but maybe something without enclosed sides isn’t going to work well with boys that age.

Note that it isn’t going to hold five people even if they are small.

It’s been reviewed here: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/60353/

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/3Ful-Gear-Pedestrian-3-season-2-layer-1-resident-professional-PU-coating-outdoor-pyramid-camping-tent/1302938_2007740540.html

mesh inner + 70D outer + groundsheet … seam taped …. weights ~ 1KG

for folks under 5’8″ it works just fine …

i have one, same design, but made of 20D fabric … it deals with torrential rains just fine … and with a few minor mods is a perfectly serviceable tent for shorter folks

total cost including shipping for the 70D version …. 65 yankee dollahz

at that price every kid can get his/her own tent

;)

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

You might do better to post this in the SCOUTING section

Christopher V
    BPL Member

@thevonz

Didn’t see the Scouting section originally.  Thanks!!!

Matthew Reese
    BPL Member

@bradktn

I have a Six Moons Designs Outfitter Lunar Duo, for the times my wife or grandkids go with me.  3.5 pounds, lots of room for 2, dual vestibules and entrances, and pretty well bulletproof.  $160 isn’t exactly cheap, but its less than most, and sometimes you can catch it for a little less on sale.  I’m quite pleased with mine.

Christopher V
    BPL Member

@thevonz

Matthew, do you ever have an issue with condensation since this is a single-wall tent?  Also, the seams are not sealed from the factory – have to apply that manually.  Not a huge deal, but something that must be done.  The other thing that worries me is with the 2 vertical poles necessary for support (trekking poles or dedicated poles), is the kids kicking out those poles or the stability of the tent in the wind.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

I’ve been involved with several scout troops that use the Kelty Salida tent, 2-man 4.5 lbs or lighter (if repackaged). The tents do very well in storms. https://www.campmor.com/c/kelty-salida-2-tent

-Barry

Mountains were made for Tevas.

Christopher V
    BPL Member

@thevonz

Barry,

We’ve looked at the Kelty Salida, but we prefer tents that have at least 2 doors to the boys (and the adults) are not climbing over each other to get out.  The one we’ve seen we like is the REI Passage 2, which offers a “fast and light” option for using the floor saver, poles and fly only, which is important here in SoCal where we don’t get much rain.  But on a trip to the Sierras, we’d probably take the tents.  Also trying to stay with tents that have rectangular floors rather than trapezoidal floors so that the heads are at each end of the tent rather than together (snoring et al).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools