Topic

Best hiking boots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best hiking boots

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Article in the NYT today on the best hiking boots. I noticed that in each product review they talk about boots for “heavy loads,” as if that’s simply assumed if you’re going for a hike. Maybe someone will tell them it’s not necessary!

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

“Heavy” is a relative term. 5lbs is heavy for some… others think 40lbs is light. Not sure what you are getting at.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Not that deep, DWR D.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

That’s funny. Maybe they assumed that boots are only needed for heavy loads, i.e. that’s the market category for boots. I know it’s not a popular choice on BPL, but I do generally prefer light-weight mid-height boots for backpacking, but more for protection when off-trail than for support.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I know it’s not a popular choice on BPL, but I do generally prefer light-weight mid-height boots for backpacking, but more for protection when off-trail than for support.

Me too. Plus I have a-typical feet with their own requirements. Keen boots work well for me: wide toe box and overall volume.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

I agree with your sentiment, but some of us don’t have another option.  My feet are destroyed, multiple times breaking bones, tearing ankles and plantar from years of abuse, no amount of therapy can make them trail runner ready.

Water soaked boots are like carrying a small child on each foot!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Water soaked boots are like carrying a small child on each foot!
    This is probably (nearly) correct.
    Imho, the solution is NOT to go looking for even bigger waterproof boots, but instead to go for very light, totally synthetic (no leather), open mesh joggers. Sure, they can get wet, but they will hold very little water and what water is there will quickly drain away. And being so light they are less tiring too.

I have never understood the logic that says if you are carrying a heavy load you should make the situation even worse by wearing big, heavy and therefore clumsy boots. That seems totally illogical to me.

But gear shops make a lot of profit from selling big expensive leather boots, and of course the boot makers need you to buy them as well. Vested interests?

My 2c.
    Cheers

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

I weighed my “waterproof” winter hiking boots after a long post hole day hike a few weeks back, and they gained half a pound of water weight each

For those of us needing ankle support (trust me on this), trail runners aren’t an option.  For hard sports I wear EVO ankle braces (pretend I’m Andy Murray). I considered using them + lightweight trail runners for backpacking.  The braces only add 4.5 oz each.  I’d need to add the weight of a hazmat suit after a few days, they just don’t dry.

If anyone knows of strongly supportive fast drying ankle braces, I’d love to ditch my Salomon Quest Prime GTX boots (3lbs/pr) and give trail runners a shot.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Finding the right light hiking shoes, even if for only three season use, is a PITA, especially after injuries.  Even injuries to the back can harm the feet.  First, worked with a podiatrist to fit and obtain carbon fiber footbeds (made by “PAL”).  Then spent a lot of time in big box gear stores with lots of stock trying on numerous shoes wearing the carbon/foam footbeds.  Prefer mids, not so much for support as for protection  from rocks, scree and water; so began with mids.

While I had worn Keens for years, found that one of the Salomons fit much better; probably because of the two lace hooks that are mounted a couple inches below the top on each side and make the shoes fit much more snugly.  But now the heels are worn out on the soles, and none of the current crop of Salomons, with all the hooks close to the lacing, are anywhere near as good.  So will see the best shoemaker in town about a resole.

When I was young and feeling indestructible, wore leather custom boots;  but as I got older, the much lighter mids felt much better, and were just as WPB.  As with much hiking gear, the designers these days have no clue, so the products go from good to worse.  All the above makes for the PITA.  But it is worth the effort to finally be happily shod.  So long as the first priority is what fits.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

Hoka makes several mids that, IME, stay waterproof for up to 6 months, and range in weight from ~2.5 pounds/pair down to ~1.5 pounds/pair.  I know this is controversial, but I have found the lightest, the Speedgoat 2 GTX Mid, to be not only reliably waterproof for up to 6 months but also to provide enough support to keep my long ago trashed left ankle from rolling enough to sprain.  Conventional BPL wisdom says mids don’t provide any support;  my ankle say otherwise.  YMMV as always.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

I think the common advice to avoid mid boots is setting some people up for injury, and I wish people would qualify their recommendation.  It’s setting some people up to get hurt and seems to come from a place of inexperience with multiple ankle injuries.

A properly fitting mid provides support in numerous situations that would have left me hobbling in a runner.  I’ve sprained my ankles more than a few times in runners in other sports, and this experience is invaluable for knowing what works or not on trail with torched ankles.  I’ve done all the strength training and physio.  They don’t come back 100% after a few bouts of torn ligaments

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I use La Spotiva Triango GTX boots for fall and spring hunts. I prefer to walk in fairly minimal trail shoes but sometimes the rules change.

Often I’m walking off trail in squishy tundra. The normal rule of “get wet but dry fast” just means “get wet and stay cold.” This is especially annoying if you want to sit and glass for a moose for a few hours and not generate heat. Waterproof boots delay the wetting and they allow my feet too warm up even if the get soggy. Took me a while but that’s what i switched to afteryears in trail runners. I’d still use trail runners for light backpacking or packrafting.

I have packed out game loads of over 100 pounds. I don’t know if “ankle support” ever helped me. I actually did that in trail shoes a few times. Didn’t need ankle support.
    But a stiff sole does help there. It means your feet don’t take as much of a beating from the extra weight slamming you down. And the sharp edge helps digging into hill sides.

The La Spotivas are the lightest i could find that actually have the advantages of a boot. I tried Altra boots and they didn’t offer much over Altra Trail runners.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

I have a pair of event gaiters that come up to my calves. They weigh 3 ounces for the pair. These, combined with goretex mids keep my feet dry–and the boots as well. I blister when my feet are wet. I’ve hiked through early spring, with big runoff and snow, and kept my feet dry if I take the boots off over deep stream crossings. Splashing through the countless over the ankle rivulets, or the occasional dunk into a river with mostly dry rock crossings, is not an issue.

I’m glad to hear others dare to speak up in favor of light boots. I don’t wear a brassier but I don’t advocate everyone  leave them behind because they’re unnecessary. People have different anatomies–an obvious fact that often goes unacknowledged whenever these discussions come up. Of course trail runners have the advantage of being light. For some–many–they don’t work for backpacking.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

>But a stiff sole does help there

I agree and those also help avoid plantar injuries.  Shoes & boots come with or without a mid sole plate made of metal or light plastic.  After a high grade partial tear of my plantar that took me out for the summer, I now check all my footwear for this by bending the sole mid foot.  If it bends there, like most runners, they go back on the shelf.  If they bend near the upper third, good to go.

It’s a tough balancing act.  Boots that are too supportive transfer load and wear and tear to the knees (which I’ve also torched): boots + lightweight knee braces washable on trail

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

If we are recommending specific boots, I will mention the Vasque Breeze AT-mid GTX. They come in wide and they are reasonably light for GTX boots (listed at 2 lbs 11 oz). I have had good luck with them in recent years. The soles are not terribly wear-resistant, however, so I’ve replaced them quite frequently.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Yes David if you aren’t careful you transfer problems to the knees. Some seem to work better than others partially unlaced.

Also remember bio mechanics change with terrain and activity. I hated shoes with a lot of drop for trails. Off trail its not much of an issue because nothing is flat.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I’ll go with the stiff or solid sole.
    Cheers

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

Another vote for stiff soles.

I know I’m in the minority, but I never understood mid-highs. Not as protective as a real boot; not as comfortable as a trail shoe. YMMV.

Going to look at approach shoes next time.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

Properly laced, mids provide enough support (but no more) and are the lightest option to help avoid a serious ankle roll over.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I’m 77, I wear UL joggers, and I don’t roll my ankles.
    I suspect that having ankle roll-overs just mean the ankles need a bit more exercise and to get stronger. Biased opinion of course. YMMV.

Cheers

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Locale: Western NY

I think stack height may also have a lot to do with ankle rolling. I started hiking in mid style hiking boots and ankle rolling seemed to occur at least once a trip. When I switched to trail runners approximately 10 years ago I stopped rolling my ankles. I still occasionally misstep on an uneven surface or unstable rock – but I am usually able to catch myself before I plant my full weight and it’s too late to avoid an ankle roll.

If it isn’t stack height – perhaps the extra little bit of shoe structure on the lower ankle in a mid style boot delays the movement and signals from the nerves just enough to interfere with the complex, timing-critical process of the brain managing your body hiking on irregular terrain to contribute to more rolled ankles (at least for me).

Perhaps it is a combination of the extra structure AND stack height. In any case – for me – trail runners have resulted in a marked decrease of ankle rolls while hiking.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Roger, you’re blessed with good feet. Good on ya.

I’m a retired bookseller. We used to carry a book that advocated exercising one’s way out of bad eyesight. It detailed a many months long regimen to be followed for improving eyesight, with the promise of 20 20 vision at the end. Some years passed, and it became generally known that distortions in the shape of eye lenses resulted in poor vision. All of the exercise in the world couldn’t address ‘weak’ eyes, because eye muscles–whatever the hell that meant–don’t connect up to the lens and cornea. I suppose Stephen Hawking ran into people who helpfully encouraged him to exercise his way out of his chair. Luckily, he could still roll his eyes.

“You have weak ankles..” No. Folks with past injuries are more susceptible to recurrence, even given good and dedicated months of rehabilitation. Basketball probably hasn’t made its way to Australia. If it had, Roger might see amazing athletes using ankle braces, and more, in order to play post injury. They do this at the behest of the best minds in sports medicine.

More to the point, some folks, like myself, have less than optimal foot anatomy. This last is extremely complex. Maybe my poor analogy earlier involving the difference between men’s and women’s anatomy wasn’t clear. Women can’t exercise their way out of having breasts. Roger would seem to believe otherwise.

I know I keep beating this like a drum but some refuse to hear: in many cases, no amount of regimen or exercise can magically change the structure of one’s given feet. Roger has good anatomy. Huzzah! He wants us all to work diligently away to achieve his anatomy. Ain’t gonna happen.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

P.S. I meant to write ‘Roger has good foot anatomy…” etc.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Comparisons to Hawkin’s neuro disease, breasts, or even the male member are not relevant here. My histology training said there are little or no muscles, tendons, or ligaments in those places.  Ankles have those, and they can be trained and strengthened.  Even the Mayo clinic says that ankle braces only slightly decrease the incident but not the severity of ankle injuries.  One common positive thread in the literature is that taping and braces give confidence to the person in light of scant actual data.  We used to call that placebo, but that is not in vogue lately.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Where there ya go. I’m lazy and/or imagining things.

Tell it to my podiatrists.

I’m done. Again, for some, their are no differences in folks’ anatomies. Everybody’s bodies are the same and one size fits all. Phew!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools