Topic

Best Freezedried Beef & Chicken

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Best Freezedried Beef & Chicken

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Steve Collins
    BPL Member

@chicagomoose

Locale: North Carolina

I haven’t found any comparison reviews between Packit Gourmet and Dutchware freezedried chicken, beef or sausage. I may just order some of both and test them myself but if anyone has experience with both or either I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Or if there is another supplier that I’m not considering and I should, let me know.

Thanks.

– Steve

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I like the FD Chicken from Honeyville although I’m disappointed to see that it looks like they are only selling it in the big cans right now. It appears they have removed their delicious FD ham. #boo

Packit Gourmet’s chicken is great in their meals. I would be shocked if it wasn’t good by itself. I’ve purchased their FD veggies and cheese before and been quite pleased with the product.

Steve Collins
    BPL Member

@chicagomoose

Locale: North Carolina

@Matthew – thanks much for your thoughts!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I’m a big fan of the Mountain House FD diced chicken. The diced beef and ground beef are also pretty good, but the diced ham, not so much (it’s slow to rehydrate). I buy a #10 can of the chicken every year, and then I wait until the very low humidity of a frigid Colorado December day to crack open the can and vacuum-seal 0.7 ounce portions for the next year’s supply. I do the same with #10 tins of MH mac and cheese, and also the green peas. This concoction is my favorite trail dinner, and heck, I even eat it at home once in a while when I don’t much feel like cooking dinner. By the way these sealed portions have a shelf life of 4-6 years in my cool, dark Colorado basement.,

Adam Holbrook
    Spectator

@pharmer

Locale: SW Ohio

What a coincidence I was just researching suppliers myself. I appreciate the feedback thus far as far as I’ve found PG sells them in smaller 2oz portions which is nice.  I saw a backpackers pantry 1oz portion of beef, not sure if they have chicken or sausage in a small portion as well or not?

Not to hijack this thread but it’s sorta on topic. Can someone please direct me to a vacuum packer or food preservation thread?  They’re so many models of food saver brand alone I wasn’t sure where to start?  Is it worth it to upgrade or just go basic?   Right now I’d just be using it to dividide large portions of FD products into useable portions.

@zia-grill-guy
    can you or anyone else pleas help me out with some recommendations or point me to a good product review site?

Thank you,

Adam

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Mountain House, Mountain House, and Mountain House is my goto supplier of #10 cans full of awesomeness. 

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Adam, go straight to the FoodSaver site and pick one. I started with a low end ‘starter’ machine, but when it began to falter (after a lot of use) I went with their GameSaver vacuum sealer. It has a couple more handy features, but it is a bit larger and takes up extra cabinet space. If you plan to do a lot of vacuum sealing, I would suggest that you also order one or two extra pair of sealing rings, which seem to go bung after a LOT of uses. While you are at it, think about buying 6-8 packages of their hard-to-find, but quite useful, pint size bags. The quart size is more economical, but the pint size is perfect for certain uses. It’s easy, but time consuming, to custom cut the quart bags for specific uses, but I seem to be doing it a lot. It helps pass the time on a cold fall afternoon when the Bronco game is stupid.

Adam Holbrook
    Spectator

@pharmer

Locale: SW Ohio

Thank you Gary.  I appreciate the feedback.  I watched a few you tubes to get an idea of the features etc.  I’ll browse around for the model that suits me and pick up the accessories as you suggested.  It should come in quite handy.  Thanks again, Take care.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools