Topic

Best Adhesive to Bond Aluminum to Carbon Fiber?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Best Adhesive to Bond Aluminum to Carbon Fiber?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Best Adhesive to Bond Aluminum to Carbon Fiber?

next post

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

The aluminum plug in my LT4 broke free.  The carbon fiber shaft is sound.

What is the best adhesive for bonding these two parts?

tony g
    BPL Member

@tonyg

Locale: norcal

Personally I would ask gg what they used.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>  That being said I use quickcure 5. Two part epoxy for my bondings.</p>
    <p style=”padding-left: 30px;”></p>

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

^^^

I asked.  They declined. BUT – they sent a new lower, free of charge.  Kudos!

I’d like to repair this one to have on hand as a spare.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

when i had this issue years ago, i used JB Weld. Worked fine.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Thanks Doug.

Good ‘ol JB Weld.  Never would have thought of it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

In general, epoxy adhesives bond well to aluminium.
    Bonding to CF tubing is a bit more tricky: it depends on what plastic was used.
    I have had very good results from Loctite Black Max superglue.

Cheers

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

When constructing my MYOG tent poles using high quality CF tubes from an eBay vendor in China, I glued the ferrules in with Gorrilla Glue 2-part epoxy from Lowes.  Worked great.

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

Those are dis-similar materials with different expansion coefficients. Epoxy may not be the best choice here. If you NEVER want to get it apart, use something like 3M 5200 adhesive (expensive and takes a very long time to cure). Alternatively, you could use 3M 100% silicone adhesive/sealant.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Actually, several different epoxies might work well. They tend to stay elastic through a wide temperature range so the slight change in expansion is often well accommodated.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

JB Weld also.  First suggested here in response to an OP from me several years ago.  It is the only adhesive I tried that glues ALU alloy to same for applications like a tube telescoped into a tube, or a rod telescoped into a tube.  But did try it with a carbon rod telescoped into an alloy tube and it has never flinched.  Others, including other epoxies, will lose their grip if one tube is leveraged to twist, like making a pack frame and not wanting the tubes to loosen and bend the frame out of desired shape.  And it is cheap and easy to find to boot.  No online order necessary in the US.  Have read that it has small metal particles in it that increase the grip, but have no proof of that.  Will rely on it for making tubular sidearms that must not allow the front points of a buckleless pack belt to slip out of position due to any rotation from a loosening of the bond.  That’s a lot of leverage to resist.  Greg’s application is a picnic compared to that.  Of course, once it sets, it will be that way forever.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

3M DP420 creates an excellent bond with carbon fiber and aluminum, but is also expensive. I’ve had good luck with plain ol’ two part epoxy from AutoZone.

Ryan

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools