Topic

Best 50ish fall color New England hike?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Best 50ish fall color New England hike?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bryan Oliphint
    BPL Member

@hottub

Locale: Southeast Texas

I’ve never been to the New England area…and I have a chance to go this October. Seeking recommendations for the best 50 miles to hike. I’d like great scenery, but maybe less crowds.  Ideas?!?

Bryan Oliphint
    BPL Member

@hottub

Lol…I just accidentally reported my own post for inappropriate content. Fat fingers on phone!

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Locale: Western NY

How about a section of the Northville Placid trail in the ADKs NY State? Maybe from the Upper Benson trailhead, through the Silver Lakes Wilderness and then the West Canada Lakes wilderness, finishing at Wakely Dam. Would need to be early October. I think the northern sections would be well past peak by October.

Bryan Oliphint
    BPL Member

@hottub

Headed there on the 11th. Hmmm…does that mean that I need to aim mid or south to catch the color peak?

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

For October 11 I would definitely aim for southern ADKs and southern Vermont. I think The rest of new england will be near peak then. The ADKs change a little before the rest of new England. Here is an interesting interactive leaf map from last year. The link says Smokey mountains, but covers the whole country:<https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/&gt;

Speaking of Vermont, a section of the long trail is also a good bet for leaves. Quite a bit more ups and downs than the NPT. Also AT in western Massachusetts. Also AT in the white mountains and southern Maine, but you could get some interesting weather by then.

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Oops link doesn’t work and I can’t seem to edit. Maybe this
    https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/

Bryan Oliphint
    BPL Member

@hottub

Thank you, sir. I’ll check all this out!  I appreciate the responses

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

This site has info on the NOT, including an interactive trail map: http://www.nptrail.org/

In terms of people, if your plan is to start on the 11th and hike Columbus day weekend you will have company pretty much anywhere you go – ADKs, AT in Vermont, Mass and NH. NPT is never crowded, but if the weather is nice I would expect people at many of the lean-tos in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness area.

Another 50milish hike in the ADKs is the Cranberry Lake 50. It is a loop hike that goes around Cranberry Lake. There is a short road walk required as part of the loop. Like the NPT, this is a low land hike without many ups or downs. It can be very wet in places though, with areas flooded by beaver activity. It will be busy around the areas close to the Oswegatchie River, and any camp sites on Cranberry Lake itself could be occupied, but I other sections you will be alone.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

AT either starting in Hanover NH and heading up to (and over?) Moosilauke, or starting at Glencliff and seeing how far north you can make it (maybe Crawford Notch, with a detour to The Bonds)? The first is a little more rambling and the second’s pretty mountainous. Both are beautiful and the weather should be fine, but you have to remember that’s Columbus Day Weekend and it’s all going to be wicked crowded. Consider gong a few days earlier or later, or much farther north like maybe the Cohos Trail starting at Jefferson or Stark and going north… Have fun!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools