Topic

Best 2021-22 footwear for Morton’s Toe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best 2021-22 footwear for Morton’s Toe

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: Western US

Looking at current models or soon to hit the market, .. with Morton’s Toe (that’s the big toe shorter than the others, especially the neighboring toe) issues getting worse.  Have read the Altra Olympus can work (with or without an aftermarket insert?), but looking at other options .. preferably less expensive.

Read where footwear with a  “rocker”, like the old hiking boots, is best.  Of course now there’s lighter weights/construction, zero drop to consider on maintained trails, wide foot boxes, etc..

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Have you tried an insole with a Morton’s extension? (Unless you have significant hallux rigidus (painful, stiff big toe joint), I would avoid the stiff, carbon, plate-type extensions.) The stiff ones would pair well with a rocker-bottom type shoe; Hoka shoes have rockers, of a sort.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

.. looked into an insole with Morton’s extension?

No barely looking into these, but a thought crossed my mind about “trimming” a regular insole to the same shape.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have a minor case of both Morton toe with the added fun of a hammer on each foot.  I have had good luck with Altra superiors and inov-8 270 terraultra worked as well with light weight pair on injini socks..  After several days the outside edge of my big toe can get irritated…. which a bit of tapping in advance is eliminated

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

HkNewman, yeah, that’s what I would do. It’s typical to have the extension extend forward only to the ball of the big toe, leaving the big toe itself hanging off the extension. I would try also with the extension underneath both the ball and the big toe. I think that makes more sense, biomechanically.

Dave B
    BPL Member

@dave_b

Altra Lone Peaks are the best for me, but the outsoles have such poor traction on even dry rock so I really only use them for easier trails.

The Brooks Cascadia 16 in a wide size have been a pleasant surprise this summer.  They’re much more rigid than the Lone Peaks, and higher drop, but the outsoles have great traction and they’re suprisingly stable despite being a wide size and giving my toes lots of room.

Have you tried a metatarsal pad under your first metatarsal? I’ve had pretty good luck with those, especially in flatter shoes like Altras.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Thanks for the replies.  I’ll just have to bring my hiking socks to the outfitter to see which feel better after an afternoon of dayhiking. Noticing my non-hiking aftermarket “eco-insole” (cork?) in my running Timps isn’t really working post-run (walk a mile), .. so one shape to avoid for hiking.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!