Topic

Beginner’s Mind: A Lifelong Ground Sleeper Takes to the Trees

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Beginner’s Mind: A Lifelong Ground Sleeper Takes to the Trees

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Marshall
    BPL Member

@andrewsmarshall

Locale: Tahoe basin by way of the southern Appalachians

Companion forum thread to: Beginner’s Mind: A Lifelong Ground Sleeper Takes to the Trees

After a lifetime of pole-supported shelters and sleeping pads, Iā€™d decided to give hammock camping a try.

Ray J
    BPL Member

@rhjanes

Head to YouTube, take a look at ShugEmery.Ā  CLICK THIS

Highly entertaining (He is a professional entertainer), great video’s on all aspects of hammock camping, good honest gear reviews.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Andrew – great story, great writing. I’ve found beginner’s mind useful in many settings – and frustratingly difficult to maintain.

If I ever try hanging, I’m very tempted by this simplified, “good enough” kit:

YouTube video

— Rex

Andrew Marshall
    BPL Member

@andrewsmarshall

Thank you Rex!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

2nd the referral to Shug. The guy and his videos are absolutely classic entertainment with top content value. But be careful it can be habit forming.

He is actually some sort of honorary official ambassador for the state of Minnesota I think. And as I recall maybe imperfectly he got his entertainment chops when he left home or ran away as a teenager and joined the circus… No Kidding…. An amazing person. So positive!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Shoshin. I think the arrow found the target.

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

No, he actually went to school for that. He started out as an amazing commercial artist but then wanted to live the dream so entered Clown College. No sh*t that’s a real thing. He had a really good home life so nothing to really run away from.

Ed S
    BPL Member

@stoveredward

Andrew: Very well written article. I really enjoyed this, particularly how you led up to “beginner’s mind.”

Ed Stover (retired newspaper guy)

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Nice write-up. Hanging definitely doesn’t stink and using something like the Wanderlust mentioned above is a good turnkey entry point. Last summer I realized I just didn’t enjoy folding myself into a tent at night anymore, hopped on Hammockforums to do some research and bought the Wanderlust. It sets up in about the same amount of time as my tent, I don’t have to crawl on the ground to get in and out of it and I get a better night’s sleep.

Shug’s videos pushed me toward the change. A hammock is not exactly UL or compact but I’ll trade that for a comfy sleep and not having to rely on finding flat, rockless ground to pitch on.

Todd
    Spectator

@tplusfive

Hammocks can be as light as tents. You can see a good example of this on Alan Dixon’s site (https://www.adventurealan.com/7-reasons-hammock-camping-fantastic-get-started/).

Andrew Marshall
    BPL Member

@andrewsmarshall

Ayyy thanks Ed. Any compliment on my writing from a retired newspaper guy is sure to make my day.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

@Andrew Marshall, such wonderful writing, fun, entertaining and enlightening all at once! Thank you!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools