Topic

Beginner Backpacker needing assist: Kenai Fjords, Denali, Rainier, Enchantments

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Beginner Backpacker needing assist: Kenai Fjords, Denali, Rainier, Enchantments

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Matthew T
    BPL Member

@matayl07

Hi there!

My girlfriend and I are going on a bunch of different trips this coming fall and we are fairly new to the UL backpacking (she’s completely new to backpacking), though we are seasoned day hikers and car campers. We are a bit overwhelmed with the sea of information and choices. I will include the gear list that I have so far accumulated and what I am considering and the trips we are going on. I would like to have gear that works for all of these trips as well as for future trips of a similar nature. We aren’t made of money but we like spending it on things that will last and have great versatility.

Background:

We will be in Alaska from the 09/12 to 09/20. The first half as a multi-day (3) kayaking trip (with guide) through the Kenai Fjords, pitching tent near the beach/glaciers. The second half we will be in Denali, doing a leisurely overnight hike that finishes with 2 more nights at a car camping spot to break ourselves in and test out the gear.

09/27-10/04 We will be doing a six day ~55 mile hike (extended version of northern loop) at Mt Rainier.

10/16-10/21 A five day permit is granted to us for the enchantments in the northern cascades in WA. We received a “Core enchantment zone” permit, which allows us to camp in a different zone every night.

I am 6’4″ 235 lbs, She is 5’3″ 135 lbs.

Things we already own and plan to use:

EE revelation quilt 850 Regular Wide 24.32oz

I have my old trusted Kelty mummy (no idea what model) that I’ve used since I was in the scouts 42oz

Katadyn water filter 1.3 oz

hydrapak seeker 2.4L bladder 2.2 oz

2 Blackdiamond headlamps w/red light 6.1oz total

2 50ft reflective parachord 8oz total

Thermarest Neoair trekker L sleeping pad 24oz

Nemo cosmo 25L 36oz

Footwear:

Timberland waterproof hiking boots (M) 20.1

Timberland waterproof hiking boots (F) 14.7

Solomon River Trail Running shoes (M) 12.3

”                                                      ” (F) 9.5oz

2 X Thermarest backpacking pillow 25.2oz total

Scrubba 5oz

Gear we are looking at for ALL our trips and future fall (that’s when we camp most) backpacking:

Backpacks:

HMG 3400 Southwest (L or Tall)- me

ULA epic with S straps (S or M)- her

How do you think the HMG will hold up on our kayaking trip? Do you think for two novice backpackers these picks are too advanced (in relation to comfort)? with the small amount of monetary difference should I just go ahead and get the 4400? We plan on possibly doing some canoe tripping with rock climbing stops in the future along the colorado river.

Tents:

This is where I’m having the most trouble.

Considering:

BPWD hexetent w/innertent $930/~86L X 86W X 62h/ 43oz/

BPWD Luna 4 w/innertent $940/96 X 96 X 69/ 42oz

HMG Ultamid 2 w/innertent 1110/ 96 x 76 x 64/ 38oz

HMG Ultamid 4 w/innertent 1445/ 101 x 101 x 75/ 49oz

Zpacks Triplex 699/ 90 x 60 x 48 / 26.5oz

is the HMG worth the price difference? If we get snowed on will all of these tents be able to hold up? And which one is best suited for wind?

Other Questions:

There is a lot of confusing/contradicting opinions on the use of bear canister/bag/hanging method. If possible I would like to not use something like an URsack or canister. we will have to use a canister in Denali (for that one night), which I plan to rent, and the only other stipulation is that the higher enchantments (which we’ll be at for 1 or 2 nights) are above the tree line. And essentially my question comes down to this: If I do the hanging method, will it keep smaller critters away from my food? I already understand how to best keep it from the bears, but if I hang the sack correctly, or even overly correctly, will small mice/possums/coons be able to get to it?

Food:

I have a dehydrator (alton brown) that I find myself to be proficient in using (idiot proof) and plan on making our meals for the trips ahead of time. We having looked into many stoves (from tinny’s to catcan to MSR) and we are a bit overwhelmed. Honestly I would rather not bring a stove at all and just eat meals that aren’t hot but I have a feeling when I’m there I might feel differently. Is it really that bad to go without hot meals? As beginners should we mess with making our own stove (which excites us, really) or play it safe with a trusted brand. Obviously we would test everything at home (probably multiple times) before taking out in the field. Also does anyone know if you can make fruit leather with an alton brown style dehydrator? all the recipes I found call for more traditional methods.

I appreciate any and all advice and I am not afraid if you want to ream me on something I grossly overlooked or misunderstood. We want to get broken in as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Matt

Matthew T
    BPL Member

@matayl07

One thing I forgot is to mention that we will not be carrying both sets of shoes at the same time. the solomons are for Alaska, while the timberlands are for both wa trips.

Also, We have used the scrubba before on camping trips and love it. However, we go on month long road trips where we pack lots of clothes and do laundry basically once during our entire camping escapades. Do you think we need the scrubba/need to wash our clothes at all for our trips? If possible we would like to just bring one full pair of appropriate clothing. My girlfriend will be making me jump in a river at least once on each of the trips.

Thanks again.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Your post is several weeks old, but I don’t see any replies. I can’t comment on your  sleeping gear, but I can tell you that in mid September in Denali it will be very cold. There could be snow and nighttime temps are likely to be well below freezing.  If it isn’t snowing the rain will be cold. You say it’s a leisurely overnight, but nonetheless you will want a thermal layer, warm hat and mitts, warm socks, etc. consider a hot thermos of something if you’re only going a short distance.

i hope the gear guys will answer some of your other questions! If the road stays open, Denali is beautiful in fall!

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

One note about the bear canister – a while back I got a Wild Ideas Expedition canister. I had previously owned and used a very old Garcia model. Both are effective, but after having used the significantly lighter weight Expedition, I am a real enthusiast for it now. It is huge, bigger than you probably need, but they make other sizes too. I use an ursack for when I’m solo, but I find the canister more reassuring when camping among bears. Hanging stuff doesn’t work in Most of the places I hike in Alaska, so having a canister is really essential. The peace of mind and light weight are worth the cost to me.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Man i would think that at 6’4″, 235 you should go ahead and get the 4400 and get a 3-4 person shelter. There are threads for big guys around here that give some tips but it seems like two person tents get small quickly. Also the bigger pack because youll have bigger clothes, tent, etc.

i am not familiar with mids. Try to start a thread specificaly for mids and you may get more action/ answers

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

The canister will not be necessary for Mt. Rainier, all the established sites have bear poles.  We found it easier to split the food into two smaller silnylon stuff sacks, rather than 1 big one, as you are hoisting the food in the air on the end of a long stick, and if it is really heavy, it wobbles and can make an issue for your back. You are tall enough, you might almost be able to just reach up and place it (kidding, the poles are about 10-12′ tall).  Love my Zpacks Duplex, the triplex is a good idea for the two of you.  Pretty sturdy in the wind, but flappy and noisy–it is like being inside a grocery bag.  Bathtub floor is great for rain, and you are likely to get rain at that time of year.  Did the Wonderland Trail in 10 days, the Northern Loop with Spray Park extension in 6 days, scrubba not necessary.  Caching food at Mowich Lake might be useful, depending on your hike and amount of food.

Stove:  Love the Starlyte with Trail Designs Caldera Cone.  Light, stable, can blow the stove out when done.  Cone has to fit your pot.  Don’t have to worry about partial canisters, fuel bottles are light weight, and can refuel at any convenience store (HEET, yellow bottle only). I’m not worried about boiling water in the fastest time possible, I’m usually taking care of other camp chores while waiting for the water to heat.

Brian Curtis
    BPL Member

@nazanne

I just stumbled on this post. This was an ambitious itinerary. They are supposed to be in the Enchantments but the weather is really ugly right now and I sure wouldn’t want to be up there (It isn’t all that often I would say that). I hope we get a followup to find out how everything went.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools