Topic

Bears Ears – Grand Staircase Grand News

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Environmental Issues Bears Ears – Grand Staircase Grand News

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Bears Ears-Grand Staircase to be restored to original size

Hallelujah!

PS if you hit a paywall just google Bears Ears Grand Staircase. This ought to be well-covered.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That’s great news. Thanks for sharing it.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Depends on your point of view. National Parks and National Monuments sound great on the surface. But they draw HUGE visitation and change these places from what was wilderness to something akin to an amusement park. Some say, the best way to ruin a wilderness… make it a National Park. There are actually many informed environmentalists and archaeologists who believe a better solution would be a wilderness designation. But that would require an act of congress… so probably not in the cards. Too bad, because the NM status will attract millions without the funding and staff to protect the ruins in the Bears Ears area. (I have already witnessed this in the past couple of years) Not to mention it will turn the sleepy town of Blanding into another Moab circus. I have been visiting the Bears Ears area for over 30 years for a month at a time every spring. In have been in nearly every canyon and side canyon on Cedar Mesa. And I have an anthropology degree. My vote would be to make it a wilderness; not a NP or NM… NM status will turn wilderness trails where you can go hike without seeing many people and enjoy the ruins on a personal basis to paved trails, daily limits on people, and restrictions on getting close to the ruins. That was the beauty of the place as opposed to NPs like Chaco and Mesa Verde where you can’t get close to a ruin without a range holding your had or guiding you on a tour. Formerly, Cedar Mesa was known as the best place in the entire southwest to visit backcountry ruins in solitude. Too bad that people in the future will not get to enjoy the place the way I have. Unfortunately, the Bears Ears became a political football and good sense went out the window….  Just sayin’… my 2 cents…

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

So you’ve been in the ‘backcountry’ at Bridges?  Fought your way through those crowds? And that’s just one drainage.

How about the crowds and paved sidewalks at Canyons of the Ancients. The crowd at the junction of Woods and Sandstone is particularly obnoxious. Good fishing for red herring though.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That’s a good point about wilderness vs NP.

Josh B
    BPL Member

@jbalisteri

Locale: Western New York

DWR D: It beats the hell out of uranium mining.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

“DWR D: It beats the hell out of uranium mining.”

Maybe not… if you want to glow in the dark! :)))

All a matter of perspective… one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools