Topic

Bear Canister Availability

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bear Canister Availability

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    likes hikes
    BPL Member

@basquej88

I need a bear canister for a trip I’m taking next month, and I ‘m having trouble finding a place to purchase one from online and REI only has Bear Vaults.  I really don’t want a Bear Vault, because the lid closure sucks IMO.

Can anyone point me to a retailer I can purchase a Garcia or similar from?

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

lee kingry
    BPL Member

@leek2

Locale: Alabama and GSMNP North Carolina

I agree with pedestrian. Just stick with the BV & always close the lid snug before you sit on it or pack it. I’ve seen folks throw the Garcia down a cliff being so mad at it. And I have a small piece of plastic taped to it for the winter time and opening it with gloves.  don’t have to push anything.

David K
    BPL Member

@back2basix

<p style=”text-align: left;”>You can also rent one from Bearikade</p>

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Never had a problem with Garcia bear canisters, not sure what everyone is complaining about.  Is there some problem I don’t know about?

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Elliott

RE: garcia cannisters.   I cannot speak for others, but I borrowed one many years ago. My recollection is that I did not like the need to undo screws (esp. in the morning before coffee) and the small opening.

BTW Who carries a quarter in the backcountry these days?

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

Garcias are heavier.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Garcia’s are heavier, but they open so much easier than bear vaults.  I’ve own one since the late 90’s, long before Bear Vaults existed and who later had to redesign their lids several times due to bear compromising them.  I agree with the statement, Who carries a quater in the backcountry!?  This is an UL site after all.  I personally use to carry a penny for the job as you aren’t going to notice the weight of it and it worked perfectly well.  Then I discovered that my ladybug knife when closed, the blade part that sticks out of the handle was a perfect fit for opening it.  That said, perhaps some of the issues people had with the Garcia come from the fact that they rented it (e.g. high use and abuse by people who despise having to use a bear can in the first place and don’t care what happens to it). I do know they retire rental units after awhile due to the wear and tear.  My 20+ year old one is in great shape as I rarely use it, only carrying it when required, and I don’t have a habit of abusing my stuff.

For shorter trips, I use the bareboxer 101, which looks like a mini Garcia, but much lighter than any other non carbon fiber bear can due to its small size.  Works great for holding about 3 days of food (for me) and will fit inside most of the smaller UL backpacks (unlike most of the fullsize ones).

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Lawrence Baker
    Spectator

@cheaptequila

Locale: Bay Area, California

I use a small thin metal strip from an auto feeler gauge and taped it to the top of my Bearvault (saw this on youtube) and it works well, even with cold fingers.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I have heard that some people actually slightly file down the two nubs on the Bear Vaults to make the lid easier to spin off.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

“Who carries a quarter in the backcountry these days?”

On those rare occasions when I carry a Bearikade, I add an aluminum washer (lid opener) to the cord loop that also holds my Swiss Army Knife and emergency whistle – and helps keep them found. Between trips the washer lives inside the canister.

Shopped for a titanium washer for enhanced geek cred, but never pulled the trigger.

— Rex

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

Only in cold weather have I ever had a hard time opening my Bearvault. Any nearby small rock or twig can help open it, but I also carry a very small pocket knife that I’ve used when the temp goes well below freezing. The BV locking mechanism really isn’t that bad once you’ve practiced with it.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I have a one+ ounce single blade super sharp knife that, when folded, has a metal edge on the back that’s perfect for opening a Bearikade. But for backup, I have a quarter duct taped to the top. Never used it…

Bearikade originally thought to only rent their canisters. that was his business model. I was actually one of the first people to buy one, after I contacted the owner over the phone and talked him into it. I was pretty persistent (and maybe annoying.) that’s my claim to fame!

Oh, but my point was, I agree with those who suggest you rent a Bearikade.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools