Topic

Bear ambassador: Lynn Rogers advocates for human-bear coexistence

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Bear ambassador: Lynn Rogers advocates for human-bear coexistence

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Lynn Rogers seeks a better human-bear coexistence. He’s an empathetic and unconventional biologist who busts fear-inducing myths by living with these big, furry mammals.”

Story here.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Fascinating story.

If you feed bears food, of course they are going to be friendly to you and will definitely lose fear of people. Only problem is when they start expecting food from all people – which is what leads to bad encounters. There are so many stories of wild animals killing their owners for whatever reason. Wild animals should be left wild and not given food unless you want to domesticate them like dogs.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I’m thankful that I’m only surrounded by coastal brown bears. I can’t imagine hauling all those hazelnuts around.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Yeah, fascinating

I had a bear huff at me and stamp it’s foot.  In Enchanted Valley in Olympic peninsula.  My observations are somewhat consistent with Lynn’s.

I agree we don’t need to fear bears, at least black bears.

But that can’t be a good thing to feed them.  Same with all wild animals.

And just because they haven’t killed him is not significant.  It’s statistical – if a bunch of people did what he does, there would be occasional deaths.  And in areas where they don’t contain their garbage bears have started breaking into people’s houses.

There was a guy in Alaska that lived with grizzly bears, until one of them killed him.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools