Topic

BD distance trekking pole repair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BD distance trekking pole repair

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

I’ve got a pair of BD distance poles. The flexible joints are cracking/breaking down and no longer protecting the cord. Has anyone had any luck with a lasting repair? Silicone caulk, self fusing tape?

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

My experience with these poles included rusting and failure with the stainless steel button (BD wouldn’t discuss outside of the 1 year warranty period) … and a few actual pole breaks. I know these poles are a BPL fav but my personal experience says otherwise. Wouldn’t trust my life leaning in these.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

I’ve been lucky with them. Maybe 10 years. They tend to be my go to unless I need adjustable.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My BD Distance poles are aluminum, purchased in 2011, and I find them very sturdy.  I love the balance and weight distribution.  But I have several gripes:

Mine have been frozen up for years.  Not a problem for me because I never broke them down anyway, but still.

The grips are too thin, so they rattle around in my hands, even when using the straps correctly.  I had to increase the diameter of mine with some foam rubber handles I peeled off a couple of three-dollar ice scrapers.

The straps are over-engineered (right and left are different) and *extremely* difficult to take off over gloves.  They also wear out very quickly; I had to purchase new ones annually when I was using them a lot.  I relegated them to backup duty when I realized I had completely re-spent the original purchase price on strap replacements.  (Newer models may have improved this??)

The baskets are far too small to function as baskets, but they snag on brush like fishhooks.  Shoot, they’ll even snag on rocks.  To make matters worse, they are not removable and are too close to the pole tips to work well as tent poles.

Edit:  And I have no ideas on how to fix the inner cord problem.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I have the same problem…gonna try disassembling and slipping some silicone aquarium tubing over the cord. Those plastic cones have turned nasty!

I’m not sure how much protection the cord really needs, if any?  BTW, mine are the fixed length all carbon model.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I think for many of us BPLers the additional protection beyond the cord is overkill. Not everyone, though!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

While they obviously provided some cord protection, I suspect the main purpose of the cones was to guide the two sections into place during assembly.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

While segmented poles do have a use for avalanches, could never understand what’s wrong with flicklocks.  Even those on low cost poles, like Cascade Designs, work very well.  And you can divide the overlap between the upper and lower flicklocks for provide more overlap for more strength.  The adjustable height is great for pole supported tents, but their best feature is the ability to telescope the sections to quickly slide closed or open to facilitate carrying.  Maybe telescoping poles that screwed tight often malfunctioned and were annoying; but the flicklocks, if well made, changed everything.

Am sorry to hear about BD’s attitude.  At one time, you could write to the owner and get a helpful response.  So often we see that when the owners and staff change, the company changes with them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools