Topic

Buying an MLD Duomid. DCF or Sil?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Buying an MLD Duomid. DCF or Sil?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alex F
    BPL Member

@alejandro

Hi all!

I currently have a Duplex and love it. The only bothersome thing about it is that no matter how well you pitch it for high winds, the thing is loud. Iā€™d like to add a Duomid or maybe a Solomid XL with the XL inner in cuben but wondering if I should go with Nylon on the outer? I would much prefer the DCF for weight but does it get loud as well in high winds? I usually camp in Snowdonia and the Lake District where 40-50mph winds are common up in the mountains. Thanks in advance…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

DCF is known to be loud.
    Silnylon is quiet.

Cheers

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I have an old Zpacks SOLO+. When it was new, it was quite loud. The wind would blow over it like a plane. After several years, it quieted down a bit. I much prefer silnylon for noise. In rain and/or hail DCF sounds like it will be split at the next gust. Sil gets loud with big raindrops or hail, but you don’t need ear plugs. This was something Roger forgot on another thread about resiliency.

Alex F
    BPL Member

@alejandro

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

This was something Roger forgot on another thread about resiliency.
    Probably. Old and forgetful.
    And just a shade smug when the weather is really foul outside.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools