Topic

BatteryBench Tests of Nitecore and Anker Portable Battery Chargers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable BatteryBench Tests of Nitecore and Anker Portable Battery Chargers

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

What’s the best way to measure that? I have been just draining a device and measuring the percentage of increase at the point the NB10000 shuts off.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

You can get one of those USB meters like Rex as mentioned

e.g. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMQZVW2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That will display watt hours

Or just run something that has constant drain, like a fan or light and measure time

Joel P
    BPL Member

@scouter55

After listening to the podcast and reading this article and noting Rex’s comment about the constantly evolving Power bank models, I wondered if Nitecore may have updated their power bank.  Looks like they have.  Both the 10,000 and 20,000 have a “gen 2” and a more rugged “Carbo” model  drop resistant to 1.5 meter with same electrical performance. (Cost only 7 grams… but lots more dollars!)  I’d love to see Rex Sanders take on these newer models.

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

AliExpress has many USB meters. Typically about $4 to $10.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I now always use my meter when charging.

Make sure the device is actually charging – sometimes it appears to be charging but it’s not actually drawing any current

If a device, for example, draws 0.4 amps when it starts charging, when it gets down to 0.1 amps I’ll disconnect it.  Otherwise, it will continue to trickle charge, using up my USB power bank, but the added charge is minimal.  Not a big effect though.

Also, if you only charge a lithium battery to 80% or 90% the battery will have a longer lifetime.  This will be when the charge current drops from, for example, 0.4 amp to 0.1 amp.  Over time, the battery gradually loses capacity.  This problem is reduced if you only charge to 80% or 90%.  Rex mentioned this.

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

“Also, if you only charge a lithium battery to 80% or 90% the battery will have a longer lifetime.  This will be when the charge current drops from, for example, 0.4 amp to 0.1 amp.  Over time, the battery gradually loses capacity.  This problem is reduced if you only charge to 80% or 90%.  Rex mentioned this.”

Similar if you only let it drop to the 10 to 20% range.  The combo reduces dendrite formation apparently.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools