Topic

Basting

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Basting

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I’m still looking for a better basting technique.  Do you have one to recommend?

I’ve used outwardly splayed staples, glue, tape, paper clips, sconce clips, bulldog clips, etc.  but I still think there must be a better way.

Ideally I’d be able to hold the fabric with both hands and the device would  connect the pieces when I feed it the held fabric.  Otherwise I’m holding the loose fabric with one hand while using the other hand to apply the basting.

This is the only thing left on my “bucket list”.

Geezer

Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

Locale: Louisville, Oh

Please clarify…   Are you talking about basting which is temporary stitching for construction purposes or applying a tape (like bias binding) to finish and protect a raw edge ?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Ken I’m talking about “basting which is temporary stitching for construction purposes”.

For example, in this photo pretend the green paper is two pieces of fabric temporarily held together by the sconce clip until I can sew it permanently in the sewing machine.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I use fine dressmaker pins, and lots of them. I have made mant tents and much clothing that way. A bit slow to be sure, but they WORK.

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I use a spoon – or maybe a brush – dip into liquid and apply to food to be basted

Oh, not that type of basting

I do a hand stitch.  Tie with a knot.  Maybe I’ll go back later and remove it after I do the row of sticthes

Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

Ok, basting to hold things in position.  I seem to have a dislike for pins as my fingers don’t manipulate them very well.  But i do use them occassionally.  I have resorted to the very long ones with a flat head which are easier to get a hold of.  And,  pins leave holes. Mostly I use some form of small alligator type clip (or what you show above).  I found a container of small spring clips at a craft store that where made for lapel badges.  If the fabric will allow it a masking tape or paper surgical tape in spots sometimes and is quicker.  What I WANT is a handheld device something like a stapler that makes a single stitch, ties a knot and cuts the thread.  Haven’t seen one of those yet!  Hummmmm.

Now if you are working with sil-nylon…..  I have a post in the works.    -Ken

Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

ps…  Someone once gave me a battery operated handheld “sewing” machine.  It was a piece of junk but it did actually work…sorta.  I thought that might be the answer but I still needed three hands.  It got abandoned pretty quick.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

yeah, it seems like pins leave too big of holes

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Pin holes … I ALWAYS put the pins in the hem side of the stitch line, so the holes are never of any concern at all. I do NOT put pin holes in the ‘waterproof’ section!

Cheers

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ah, heck. You made be click the thread based on the subject title.

Now that I’m here, I have no idea what you folks are discussing.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Why is it that Nick and I have the same childish behavior?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Nick and Jerry,

Next time you cook a turkey try basting it this way.  You’ll be surprised how much it improves the flavor.

MeMe

http://sewing.about.com/od/beginner1/ss/htbaste.htm

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Ken,

Your comment “but I still needed three hands” gave me the clue I needed to solve my problem.

If I secure one end of the fabric it frees up a hand for basting.  In the photos below a binder clip secures the fabric at one end and frees up my right hand.  My left hand holds the fabric tight while my right hand staple-bastes the fabric.  Goes faster than other techniques I’ve tried.  Should work for other basting methods too (e.g. pins, clips, hand sewing, etc.).

I’ve also included above and below photos of what a splayed staple looks like in fabric.  Most staplers have a movable strike plate that makes the staple bend inwardly or outwardly.  Outwardly bent staples pull out of many/most fabrics easily.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

The problem with staples are that they generally have sharp ends like a chisel blade, and that chops fibres in the fabric. I prefer something which does not damage the fabric.

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

if you stapled or pinned in the selvage that later gets cut away it wouldn’t matter, sort of like Roger said about where to put pins

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Jerry,

I like your idea of cutting off the selvage.  When using staples I usually run one line of stitching,  then remove the staples,  then roll the previously stapled edge inside the seam before running the next line of sewing.  I think cutting the previously stapled edge with a rolling cutter might be faster than removing a lot of staples.

When I use clips or pins I usually remove them just before feeding the fabric into the sewing machine.  They come off/out easier than the staples.

Regardless of basting method, however, the timesaver/convenience trick here is the clamping of one end to the table.  Freeing up the right hand and keeping the fabric under light tension makes the basting process easier….for me.

Talks 2 Much

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Jerry,

I just went down to the little shop of horrors in the basement and tried the Jerry Cut method.  Easy Peazy.  Worked great!

I’ll never splay another staple.  Can use the stapler in regular mode (staples bent inward) like god intended it to be used.  They hold better bent inward.  No more paper with splayed staples because I forgot to reset the stapler after sewing.  No more splayed staples in the carpet where they fell after removing them.  No more explaining what a splayed staple setting is.  My bucket list is now complete.

Thanks     .  .

Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

Ha!  All it took to make you happy was a binder clip and a new trimming techneque !

The simplest solutions are always the best but can be the most vexing to find.

Now…   what would happen if you put a bit of warm turkey broth and melted butter over the staples ?   Hummmmmm…..

Ken, in Ohio where it’s 22 deg F this morning, windy, 1/2 inch of snow.  I was hoping to go paddling this Sunday but I think the kayak may stay in the garage.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools