Topic

Base layer liners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Base layer liners

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

I’m wondering about some type of semi disposable, ultra light weight liner layers, for under your base layers, which can absorb some sweat and oil, and could then be changed out with a spare liner layers more regularly, since you could easily carry extra changes of the much lighter more fragile fabric. Perhaps this could keep you as clean as having 2 changes of base layers, though you are only carrying changes for the fabric closest to your skin…like a Base Base layer. Ultra thin silk or nylon could be use to make super light undershirts for under your merino shirts.

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

Anti sweat and odor chemicals can be impeded potentially

Anonymous
    Inactive

To be honest, imo the last thing humans need is more disposable stuff. There is already far too much of that already.

If you use the right fibers and materials, odor is not much of an issue. Not to mention that changing your diet and health habits can also affect this positively or negatively–generally the healthier a person, the better they will smell.  In any case, would focus more on creating better fabric blends than disposables. Generally, blending certain synthetics with certain natural fibers are key to this.

For example, alpaca nylon blends for cooler weather. Alpaca doesn’t absorb as much moisture as sheep’s wool, but has many of the benefits of same.  Nylon is the least odor building and retraining synthetic, but much more durable and strong than alpaca, sheeps wool, and other animal fibers.  Or alpaca blended with polygiene treated polyester.

For warmer weather, wicking nylon and lyocell/tencel blend make a great blend that is low odor, and can be pretty light, while being tough and durable.

Except for shoes, I don’t really notice the weight that I wear, as none of the clothes that I wear backpacking are so heavy to be noticeable by the body.  If I have just one change of light baselayer or the like–it’s really not a whole lot of weight.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Taking a spares et and rinsing the worn ones every day or two is much more environmentally friendly, also if you walking mates don’t like the way you smell get yourself some walking buddies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools