Topic

balaclava + quilt question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) balaclava + quilt question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

People that are using balaclava’s with their quilts, are you using it over your mouth or underneath? If over, do you notice any moisture getting into your sleeping bag? I ask because in cold ”dry” weather I tend to want to place fabric over my mouth. It helps me with a dry cough/sore throat that tends to comes about from the harsh weather.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

A wool, poly, fleece etc balaclava can be worn over your mouth. A down insulated one should not. With a synthetic insulated one I’d still suggest not to cover your mouth with it but if you do the world will not end. Best is thin one that covers nose/mouth under insulated one that does not.

-Tim Marshall: Enlightened Equipment

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

+1 what Tim said

But I DO want to try the Sockel

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

Thanks. That is kinda what I had in mind as well. Appreciate it.

I may need to try out that sockel too! lol

Chris Malnowski
    BPL Member

@cmalinowski

Love the Sockel.  As far as I’m concerned, you win the internet today. :)  Going to need to try that.  Otherwise, my down balaclava cinches down over my eyes and just above my chin, but leaves my nose/mouth exposed.  I haven’t been in cold enough temps to make that a problem.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

I ended up ordering the Ridge merino balaclava. Fits well and has a good amount of venting, while still allowing for some humidity to be left behind. Highly recommend it.

https://www.ridgemerino.com/products/merino-wool-balaclava?variant=45574998222&currency=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsaazkfuc5gIVD_DACh3_mQrQEAQYASABEgLuAfD_BwE

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools