Topic

Backyard TP degradation experiment

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Backyard TP degradation experiment

• This topic has 89 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by MJ H.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am impressed at how deeply Adam went into this.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I recommend “Dissolving Paper”:

Product Info

Imagine writing a note or a class handout with the instructions, “Place In Water After Reading.” To their surprise the paper will dissolve in the water! This is real paper that can be written on and used in most copiers and printers. The secret lies in the fact that the paper is made of Sodium Carboxyl Methyl Cellulose (no, really, we didn’t make that up.) It dissolves in cold water, hot water, steam, and most aqueous solutions. It’s the perfect writing surface for secret agents, and a great way to teach about biodegradable products for waste reduction since this paper is non-toxic and environmentally safe. We recently ran a sheet of this through a color laser printer – when we put it in water and gave it a stir, the paper dissolved but the printing did not – we had a glass full of floating letters! You will get standard 8.5 x 11 inch (21.5 x 28 cm) sheets of paper. Available in packs of 15, 30, or 100 sheets.

15 Sheets – $7.95
    30 Sheets – $13.95
    100 Sheets – $42.50

Can be cut to fit your butt :-)

http://www.sciencebobstore.com/dissolving-paper/

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

That seems too expensive for wiping. For that kind of money, you’d better use it for maps.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“I recommend “Dissolving Paper”:”

Talk about shitty handwriting….

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Yeah, on two NZ backpacking trips that were infested with vegetarians, there was nothing but veggies, lentils, beans, rice, etc. I was pooping like a rabbit or moose in winter in nice clean little pellets, not like a omnivore or carnivore. Took like one sheet of TP instead of 12 folded bunches.

That’s… really not healthy, Dave.  “Clean little pellets” sounds like the opposite of a high-fiber diet.

Pooping rabbit turds will give you piles, Brother.  Did you mean that it was a nice type 4 or something?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

More of a Type 3.  I was definitely getting plenty of fiber and things were definitely moving through just fine.  It all came out cleanly with little need to wipe afterwards.

More of a visual joke, but: Bear and Rabbit are chatting in the woods.  Bear asks, “Don’t you hate how the poop sticks to your fur?”  Rabbit responds, “The poop doesn’t stick to my fur.”  Visual: Bear arches an eyebrow, grabs Rabbit, and repeatedly wipes his own backside.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

^^
    That takes the prize!

:)

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

This article reminded me of the squatting pictures above in this thread. Briefly, it notes that people in China can squat down with their heels flat on the ground and hold the position so easily that it is relaxing. And, try as I might, I could not squat with my heels flat on the ground. Since I’m balanced on the balls of my feet, it’s never going to be a comfortable position. My son (11) could get his heels flat.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I wanted to give Gary another data point for his experiment, because I’m a helpful guy. I don’t use TP, so I buried my hand in my back yard and then checked on it five hours later. It hadn’t started to decompose at all, but I did get a pretty nasty sunburn.

Hope that helps Gary!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

If your hand is buried, how does it get sunburnt?

Cheers

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Sorry Roger, I can’t say any more about my experiment as I’m trying to get the results published in an academic journal. At least I think Fetishes & Fantasies is an academic journal.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Not Warlock’s Swords and Sorcery? Shame!

Cheers

Brad W
    Spectator

@blw2

This article reminded me of the squatting pictures above in this thread. Briefly, it notes that people in China can squat down with their heels flat on the ground and hold the position so easily that it is relaxing. And, try as I might, I could not squat with my heels flat on the ground. Since I’m balanced on the balls of my feet, it’s never going to be a comfortable position. My son (11) could get his heels flat.”

My grandfather was definitely not Chinese but he squatted like that all the time.  It was his resting position, smoking a cigarette or just visiting on the front porch when there wasn’t enough chairs.  He was a poor farmer from the mountains of KY.

It’s certainly flexibility from long years of practice….but there’s something more I think.  Something circulatory that adapts to allow that sort of thing…. when I try it i feel like the circulation in my legs is pinched off.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I think if you do full squats that way, all the way down into that position before coming back up (no weights) you’ll get yourself, and your legs, used to it. Do 10 every morning to start, when that’s easy do 15, etc.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Maybe. I’ve been practicing lately and I seem to be getting better, but I’m not sure if my ankle is getting more flexible or if I’m just improving my balance so that I can lean back more (without needing to hold on to something). Also, if I get so that I’m not worried about falling over into my own feces, it might not feel like camping anymore.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools