Topic

Backpacking with a Norwich Terrier

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Backpacking with a Norwich Terrier

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tom M
    BPL Member

@tominva

Locale: Virginia

Hello,

I’m taking our little Norwich out on an overnighter this weekend (Shenandoah maybe). Any recommendations for a front carrier for when she gets tired. We probably won’t go too far (3 miles or so), but want to be ready.

Also, any thoughts on a really basic first aid kit for dogs?

Thanks!

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

first aid, beyond what you’d carry for yourself:

a roll of vet wrap and a roll of tape – or boots, as the most likely issue will be with her paw pads, if she’s not used to hiking this far. A small bottle of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting if she eats something (e.g., mushrooms or unidentified plants), or for cleaning. Ask your vet for a dose of rimadyl or other appropriate pain killer.

[edit: check your local shelter, parks department, or REI for pet first aid classes. Also, carry a list of emergency vets (phone and address) local to the area you’re visiting in your car – you might not have cell reception to google them]

Good luck, and have fun!

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

How heavy is your Norwich?  My friend used to hike with a Schipperke, and would throw him into the top of her usual backpack when he was burning out.

He weighed about 15-17 pounds.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@tominva

Locale: Virginia

Thank you both.

Shes about 12 lbs. I’ve seen pics of other dog owners doing the shoulder thing. I may give it a try but it will be a process!

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

If you get a Teacup Yorkie, you can still get your big four (pack, sleep system, shelter, canine) for under 8 pounds.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools