Topic

Backpacking with a dog

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

“Hydrogen peroxide will lose effectiveness over time from contact with oxygen.”

Flame on!

No, it off gasses slowly in oxygen into any headspace.  Minimizing the headspace, but more so, minimizing the storage temperature, UV light (that’s why it comes in brown bottles), and any contaminants (iron will instantly catalyze the degradation to H2O and O2.

Pedantic flame off!

Booties: As someone else said, way upthread, source them from musher’s suppliers.  Used to go for a $1 each in quantity from local sewers in my town, probably more now.  A set for $29.95 at REI is heavier (needlessly so) and less comfortable for the dog than the simple one-layer / thin velcro closures.  The mushing ones come color-coded for size so you can get the correct bootie on the correct dog (Iditarod mushers have  64 to put on 16 dogs, plus a hundred or so extra ones).

OMG!  Looking for images, I find that there are now dog booties for $49, $79 and $89 a set.  DON’T GET THESE:

Get this style:

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I paid $3 each at dogbooties.com but they are cheaper if you buy them in the 250 pack. 😳

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

“I found Musher’s Secret to be of no value in the mountains (to be fair, that isn’t the intended use for the product – it’s to keep ice from between their toes). ”

While everyone’s experience will differ on how well a product works for them, that is the intended use of Musher’s Secret. It will also keep ice from between the dogs toes but it is primarily for protecting the dog’s pads. I understand some dogs do require booties and would certainly be open to using them if needed. But IMHO, Musher’s Secret is a good product to use if your dog is not wearing booties. YMMV.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Just like while X-C skiing, there are certainly conditions that will cause ice to form between your dog’s toes.  You want to get the booties on before that, but of course usually don’t notice until they are limping or licking their paws.  Then you have to get all the snow and ice out from between their toes before you put the booties on.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

I’m only referring to the use of Musher’s Secret for 3 season backpacking, Winter is another matter, of course. I don’t take my dogs on winter overnights. And they are just as likely to have snow build up walking out the front door as they are on day hikes. :)

James I
    BPL Member

@racerx00

I can only comment as to how I go about owning a dog as a backpacker and give advice based on that. First and foremost I’d make a list of breeds that have the qualities of the kind of companion I’d want off the trail. I’d then go through the list and eliminate any that would just be terrible if they exist (like a toy breed, unless you enjoy going slow and carrying the dog and it’s food/water).

You can get yourself into trouble looking at dogs based on how they perform on the trail. I can sit here all day and tell you how great my Border Collie is on the trail but if you work 60 hours a week I can tell you that you definitely don’t want to own one, or any dog with anywhere near it’s energy level and daily attention requirements. You’ll also have a terribly behaved dog that probably won’t be that great on the trail with nothing you can do about it apart from hiring professionals.

I’d be willing to bet that most people could make that list and come up with a breed or mix of breeds that will fit their lifestyle as well as be an awesome trail companion. Pay attention to specific breeds needs first and foremost and ensure you can fulfill its basic bred instincts, then put trail concerns on that list.

If you want a straight up pack/work animal (which it doesn’t sound like it) dogs generally aren’t the best suited either.

tl;dr – imho, companion first, trail second

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

I’m only referring to the use of Musher’s Secret for 3 season backpacking, Winter is another matter, of course. I don’t take my dogs on winter overnights. And they are just as likely to have snow build up walking out the front door as they are on day hikes. :)

A number of folks I know swear by Show Sheen spray to prevent snowballs from clumping up on their dogs coats. The endorsement comes with a warning to apply outside, as any overspray will turn floors into skating rinks.

Michelle B
    BPL Member

@mbracht

I always hike with one of my dogs because he is a service animal.  Because of this I have had to select a dog who can perform his service and hike.  The few things I have to add to this post are;

Talk to a vet about what age to start working your dog. You can damage hips and elbows if you start too young.

Please be sure your dog is trained not to bother other people or animals.

Train him to stay close.  I am currently in Alaska and we encountered our first grizzly.   I was really happy to have a dog silently alert from just a few feet away.

You may consider a short haired dog because sleeping with a wet mop in the tent is no fun.

I have a Belgian Malinois currently but am about to purchase an Australian Working Kelpie.  I think that he will have more endurance and handle harsher climates.

Best of luck,

Michelle

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m thrilled to report that we are having a great time on dayhikes with our Heeler. She’s figured out that she is supposed to stay between us and she’s good carrying four or five pounds of weight. She’s already proven that she is a good camping companion. I can’t wait to get her out for a couple nights of backpacking.

Here she is dayhiking on the Happy Jack passage of the AZT today. 

CARLOS C.
    BPL Member

@lamboy

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Good Looking pup. How old is she? we are trying to get our pup used to the pack and proper hiking behavior.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks! I think she’s a looker as well.

She’s a rescue so we are not sure of her birthdate but the vet estimated her age at about 1.5 years when we got her and that was a little over a year ago so she must be around 2.5 or 3? She’s an extremely good listener and very active outdoors. We have a large yard and she gets 1-1.5 hours a day of running and jumping daily playing fetch.

The daypack is loaded with 1 liter of water on each side and that seems to slow her down just enough that she stays right with us on the trail.

She’s been car camping with us a few times and we’ve found she gets cold at night. Her down puffy from Nunatak arrives tomorrow. I’m hoping that will do the trick.

Kate Anthony
    Spectator

@kanthony

Locale: NorCal

She’s a great looking dog! I love hiking with my two Heelers. 

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Handsome pups! I’m new to the breed and really like them based on my dog and two new heeler owning friends. They are very active, engaged animals and quite smart.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

This should help keep her from shivering at night.

55g of 900FP down. 105g total.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Beautiful dogs. Gotta stop looking at dog pics…..

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Love ^those eyes!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

You looking at me? Are you looking at me?!

What a beautiful pup. Will get another some day, just not now… :-)

I’ve still got this look in my mind…

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools