Topic

Backpacking meal showdown/taste test

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Backpacking meal showdown/taste test

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Scott W
    BPL Member

@nscottwilson71gmail-com

This weekend a group from one of my meetups did a backpacking meal taste test.  6 people (including myself) ranging from never have backpacked to intermediate experience (section hikers, etc.) met and over 2 hours tested 4 retail dehydrated meals plus 3 assemble yourself meals.

Meals were

1. Cold soaked Parmesan flavored Couscous with hard salami
    2. Cold soaked plain Ramen with Starkist Teriyaki Chicken  — Top Cold Pick
    3. Backpackers Pantry Katmandu Curry
    4. Wild Zora Bedrock  Beef Chili – Top Packaged Meal Pick
    5. Alpine Aire Forever Young Mac & Cheese – Runner up Packaged Meal Pick
    6. Mountain House Beef Stroganoff
    7. Modified Ramen Bomb with Chicken  – Top Overall Pick

All Ramen and couscous was cold soaked (even for the Ramen bomb which was then warmed up).   All package meals were prepared with light boil (180-190ish) water and allowed to soak 15 min in a cozy.

The results were:

1. 1 “bleh” and 5 “ehs”  (note 1)
    2. 2 “yeahs” and 4 “He!! Yeahs” (one lady was literally licking the container to get it all)
    3. 1 “bleh”, 3 “ehs”, and 2 “yeahs” (Note 2)
    4. 4 “yeah” and 2 “He!! Yeahs” (note 3)
    5. 5 “yeah” and 1 “He!! Yeah” (they took the left overs home!)
    6. 1 “pass” and 5 “ehs”
    7. 6 “He!! Yeahs” – (note 4)

Note 1: After letting the salami sit in it for 30 min the flavor improved and it switched to 4 “ehs” and 2 “yeahs”…so learned to put the salami right away and let it sit while the couscous re hydrates to mix flavors

Note 2:  It should be noted that the package was 8 months past the “best by” date so may be a factor in the flavor.  I love every BP meal I’ve tried (including this one in the past).

Note 3: You could smell the flavor as soon as the package was opened. I love that it’s paleo, non gmo, and gluten free.  It’s very balanced Protein to Carbs.  The only downside is it’s a smaller package and had one of the lowest KCal/meal: 420

Note 4: This was a modified bomb. Instead of instant potatoes, we used a newer product from Idahoan: Instant Loaded potato soup.  We did use the ramen flavoring packet and added a tablespoon of crushed red pepper and Garlic mix as well as a package of Tyson Chicken breast.  1465 KCal – 1-2 servings

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools