Topic

Backpacking in Sequoia NP in April

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Backpacking in Sequoia NP in April

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

Interestingly, given the other  recent post about backpacking in California in mid-April,  I have a business trip to Los Angeles the week of April 18th and wanted to schedule a 4 day backpacking trip. I’m from NC so I’m starting with a blank slate.  Just looking at the map it appears that Sequoia National Park is the obvious destination with emphasis on the southerly side since I’m coming from LA. I’ve not been able to contact anybody from the park service to ask questions so I thought would turn to my buddies BPL. I need to get up to speed quickly. Does anybody have a recommended 50 to 60 mile Loop hike with an emphasis on big trees and scenery? The National Geographic map does not list Backcountry campsites so I wonder if camping anywhere is permissible? Is a bear canister required or can I get by with a PCT bear hang? What should I anticipate in terms of weather, i.e., snow, rain, temperatures in mid-april? Is water plentiful? Recommended reading? Any other advice you can give I would greatly appreciate. Thank you for the help.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Hi Russ

<span style=”line-height: 1.8;”>Let’s put this in perspective.  Snow level in the Sierra right now is from about 5000 feet in the North to 7500 feet in the South.  In SEKI  the trails start around  8000 and go up to over 14000 feet.  </span>

There are not really ANY trails/trips in the back country that aren’t under 2-10 feet of snow.  And we’re expecting more storms this week and next.

Unless you have serious experience with snow camping, avalanches, and winter navigation (trails are buried and invisible) April is way too early.  Yeah, I did a trip last April in Yosemite, but that was a FREAK year.  This year that trail is under 3 feet of snow.

For those of us who live here, backpacking in the Sierra is June through September.  That’s when the roads to the trailheads are open, and the snow finally gives way.

I’d look at Ventana Wilderness, but it’s very different hiking.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Thank you for the response. – I did speak to a ranger late Friday afternoon and she gave me a potential loop with the advice to be prepared with snowshoes and ice axe at the passes, and if too much to just spider out and back and hike where I’m comfortable. I don’t want to discount what you told me so I’d like you to weigh in on her recommendation, which very well be, “She is crazy and you’re going to die! Listen to the advice I’ve already given you!”. Proposed loop:

Buckeye Flats to Redwood Meadow Grove, to Bearpaw Meadow, to the Sierra High Trail by Hamilton Lakes,  Precipice Lakes, continue to Little Five Lakes,  Black Rock Pass Trail, back to Redwood Meadow Grove, and out to Buckeye Flats. The ranger is going to be in this vicinity next weekend and told me to call her back for an up-to-date report.

All of that said, I’ve already committed to the extra 4 days and have a rental car,   and can do anything within reason…..say 4-5 hours from LA.  In addition to the area mentioned above, are there other recommendations I should consider? Thanks again.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Seriously??? (That’s what I want to ask the ranger.)

Have you been trained with an ice axe? Without training you have not the muscle memory to use one without hurting yourself. Taking an ice axe means there are steep slopes that you can easily slip and die on.

A trip that long, with that much elevation gain — no. NONONOOOOOOO. Black Rock on SNOWSHOES. NOOOOOOOOO.

If you are a veteran backcountry skier who can skin up and traverse UP the passes, and ski down them, maybe.

This is a solo trip? In the snow? No skis. NOPE.

That’s my reaction to thinking about that route in four days.

The SAR in me wants to grab you and throw you back in the car at the trailhead.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Well…..two votes for an enthusiastic NO WAY!  This is officially off the table. I really do appreciate the concern and advice.

In addition to the Ventana Wilderness, any other good recommendations for 4 days?

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I highly recommend coming back to do a loop in Mineral King in late summer tho. :)

You could probably do Sespe – there is a nice loop to be had there, with a couple of hot springs along the way, and there should be water. Perhaps there will be shallow snow on part of it, but it will be much more reasonable for doing miles. Call the Ojai or Mt Pinos offices of Los Padres for conditions reports and to find out whether you can get to trailheads. (Some of the roads close in winter.)

All Los Padres (north and south) trails are in varying levels of decay, and poison oak is blooming right now. Sticking to well traveled routes would be best. Avoid Sykes if you have any LNT ethic at all — it is the most trashed, overcrowded, overused, overrated place in the entire coastal range. The canyon fills with pot smoke and frat party noise in the evenings.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Thank you. Lori.

I know that the rangers try not to be too definitive in these things (HYOH   and all) but yow!

Russ: Lori has done SAR work in that area for years.  She knows.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Paul and Lori – I thank you both. This experience has been kind of like if you guys wanted to come to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in February and the ranger told you to bring your Bermuda shorts only to be surprised by a foot of snow and -5 degree temperatures on the Appalachian Trail. I will give a report out when I get back from California….thanks again.

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

I second the vote for the Sespe wilderness out of Ojai. Sespe Creek should have water in it for most of it. For water reports call the Ojai ranger district and check hikelospadres.com to see if anyone has posted water reports at the campsites/springs you would pass through. You could also make it up to Big Sur but that might be more driving than you want to do. Another option would be to check out some of the southern sections of the PCT and see if you could turn any parts into a loop. Big Bear area could be cool. Have a blast and let us know what you plan on doing.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Perfect time of year to visit southern Utah for some canyon hiking…

Not sure if you have time to get over there… but go where it is prime time; not the High Sierra in April..

Death Valley? If you get a cool spell might be nice…

billy

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

I wanted to let those of you kind enough to reply to my original request know what I actually did.

Like a moth drawn to a flame, I decided to do a three-day Sequoia trip by finding an in-and-out route below 9000 feet, with the basic tenet that if the trail conditions became too dangerous I would simply turn around. I hiked the Sierra High Trail from Moro Rock to about .2 miles before Hamilton Lake and up and down various side trails as the snow allowed..probably less than 35 miles in total. Lori and Paul, you are absolutely correct with your advice as trail conditions became very dicey much above 8,400 feet, depending on where you were on the mountain, sunshine, etc. I was actually about .2 miles from Hamilton lakes and was forced to concede and backtrack, but in the process managed to find the most spectacular campsite near a raging snow melt waterfall. Temperatures were in the 60’s during the day and low 30’s at night and I actually came back from this adventure with a suntan.  I only saw two other hikers within 5 miles of the trail head and other than that I had the place to myself. A front blew through and I got snowed on the last 6 miles.  When I got back to the trailhead, I met a young French couple, wet and cold, looking for a ride back to Three Rivers, which I was able to accommodate.

I used the remaining day to drive completely around the Sespe Wilderness. That is a really interesting area in that the north side seemed like desert and the southern side was really verdant in areas….pretty. Then back to LA for an IN-AND-OUT BURGER and back to NC.

Given what I know now I’m thinking of planning a 9-10 day trip in late August or early September, perhaps just a tad further north, maybe including part of the John Muir Trail. I’ll be back for help to determine a more definite route. I thank all of you again for the advice and not letting me do something ill-advised.

Happy trails – Russ

ben .
    BPL Member

@frozenintime

sounds like a great time!

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

“planning a 9-10 day trip in late August or early September, perhaps just a tad further north, maybe including part of the John Muir Trail.”

Russ – take a look at the Big SEKI Loop.  If you like what you saw when you dabbled in the lower elevations of Sequoia NP, you’ll love the higher elevation stuff during summer.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Wow Amy! You really hit the nail on the head!  After my trip, I contacted the Sequoia rangers (they know who I am), and they recommended a loop starting at Roads End Permit Station, clockwise up Copper Creek, connect with the JMT, head south, and back out through the Babb’s Creek trail.  So I applied for and received a 10-day permit for late August for a 100 or so mile trip, thinking that I would check back on BPL to see if this recommendation had any merit. So according to the link you attached, this is the famous Big SEKI Loop….well wet the bed Fred, I’m going! And this link shows other options to extend or modify the hike by looping back further south.

Once I do a bit more research on BPL for existing thought, I’ll start a new thread because I know I’ll have all sorts of questions about bear cans, weather/temperature, relative scenery on the trails further south, i.e., Colby Pass, or the High Sierra Trail missed because of the snow.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools