Topic

Backpackers Campground in Tuolumne Meadows

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Backpackers Campground in Tuolumne Meadows

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nirmal V
    Spectator

@nirmalsv

I have a Yosemite wilderness permit starting on July 13th. According to the Yosemite NPS website, I’m allowed to stay the night before in the backpackers campground in the main Tuolumne Meadows campground. The wrinkle is that I believe the main campground does not open until July 15th. Does that mean I can’t stay in the backpackers campground on the night of July 12th? Anyone have any experience with this?

I tried calling the Yosemite phone number, but it just doesn’t have this kind of information and moreover, doesn’t have an option to speak to a person.

Thanks in advance.

Kate Anthony
    Spectator

@kanthony

Locale: NorCal

I believe the July 15 date is a place holder. If it’s a big snow year, it may take that long to open the Tioga Pass Road and get the infrastructure set up. I’ve stayed in that campground in late June in a low snow year.  The rangers will have a better idea of the opening date in April when they usually start plowing the road.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools