Topic

Backpack Sizing Question – Gregory Optic

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Backpack Sizing Question – Gregory Optic

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tod B
    Spectator

@todbarry

Hello, I’ve been spending way too many hours trying to find a well fitted backpack for my upcoming hiking trip. At 20″ torso and 35″ waist, I seem to be pretty much in the middle on many brands between large and medium. So, right now I’m ready to order a Gregory Optic  (can only find online in my area), which says 18 to 20″ for medium, and 20″ – 22″ for large size. I previously tested an Osprey Exos – the medium was too tight in the shoulders, the large slipped on the hips – no good. So, I know that everybody’s anatomy is different, but would appreciate any suggestions as to what size Gregory Optic to order, especially if someone is familiar with this pack. Thanks much – Tod

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Hi Tod,

I have on an Optic 55. I’m 5’7″ with longish torso and short legs. From my readings, I knew that Michael Lanza of the Big Outside (formerly a writer for Backpacking.com) were the same size. I emailed Mike and he confirmed that the Small Optic would fit me. He was spot on. With the Optic and I can transfer some weight to the hipbelt. By comparison, the Osprey packs are a bit too long in the torso in size Medium. If I’d known that prior to purchase, eh? I really do love all of the features on the Gregory Optic. By way of comparison, for short weekend trips I use a Gossamer Gear Kumo, 35 liter pack. Features are nearly the same. Main difference is pack volume. The Optic better handles winter with more bulky gear, the Kumo is fine with a 3 season load. If can only justify one pack, I would say the Gregory Optic 48 can handle pretty much any load a lightweight backpacker would carry. There are plenty of other cottage industry packs that can do the same, but they don’t have the Gregory/REI guarantee. The Optic is a good stepstone pack moving from traditional to lightweight, thus the Optic is great for the occasional weekend backpacker. I’ve tried most of the similar Ospreys and in my mind the Optic is a more comfortable, useful pack for a lightweight internal frame pack. To go frameless, such as the Kumo, you need to have your kit well dialed in. For under 25 pounds, the Kumo and similar are  boss. For a load over 25 pounds, the Optic rocks!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools