Topic

Backpack recommendation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dale K
    Spectator

@dalekorm

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Need advice, been getting nerve pain under left shoulder strap. Usually after first day. Have ULA circuit, tried Gregory paragon as well. No change. Base around 12 to 13 pounds. Rest for a short while, goes away, comes back, very painful. Don’t think it’s a pinched nerve, no other symptoms. Have scoliosis, starting to think it’s related to that. Ideas for a backpack, heard things about osprey gravity frame setup. Little heavy though. Could keep me packing though. Have present pack dialed in well. Still get pain. Advice appreciated.</p>

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’m suffering pain under left shoulder blade as well of late. Watching this thread. I’ve pretty much gone back to my McHale Windsauk for just about everything, but have been suffering this for a few months. Nerve jumping, and muscle, lower trapezius. Some days it’s hard to turn my neck…

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Obviously pack fit can be very personal, especially if you’re having pain, but what about the Seek Outside Divide or Gila?  The pack itself is a little heavier around 3 pounds, but they carry weight exceptionally well and allow you to put all the weight on your hips if you want.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

My shoulder pain is all from my lower back and shoulders becoming overtaxed due to my upper back carrying too much weight and my hips not carrying anything at all.  Solution: a custom-fitted pack of the correct length with two frame stays to help support the load.  Much heavier than the currently-fashionable designs, and much healthier for me as well.  Get something that fits you perfectly and don’t worry about the weight: no amount of lightness is worth any amount of damaging pain.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You guys should see a physical therapist when you have very specific localized pains. They can do some hands work and come up with exercises and stretches to help your issue.

Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

Shoulder Impingement? (swimmers/ throwers shoulder)

Do you hunch or roll  your shoulders forward with your pack on? Maybe you always take your pack on and off left shoulder strap first and last? Does rotating your arms or raising your elbows make it worse or better?

A proficient physical therapist should be able to manually move your shoulders (and other parts) through its range of motion to find and diagnose the cause of the pain; if it is physical.

Most people associate swimmers shoulder with movements that raise the elbow over the shoulder. However,  according to Wikipedia, “Another common cause of Impingement syndrome is restrictions in the range movement of the scapulo-thoracic surfaces. Commonly, a rib (or ribs) between rib 2 and rib 7/8 on the side of the impingement, may jut out slightly and/or feel hard when the person springs on it/them. When this occurs, the scapula is raised and anteverted (angled forwards). This in turn pushes the acromion and the humeral head out of its usual anatomical position placing pressure downwards at the head of the humerus at the position of the nerve thus causing the impingement syndrome.”

Maybe try a classic A frame teardrop shape climbers pack that leaves the shoulder blades completely free?

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Do you guys carry weight on your shoulders?My pack weight is all on my hips and carried by my legs.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, I used to have some shoulder issues with a 45lb pack. After I screwed up my back, I dropped my weight to <10lbs, wide shoulder straps (>3″) and a functional hip belt. End of problem for almost 35 years. Anyway, getting the weight per sq in down helps a lot. Letting the hip belt pick up 65%-90% of the weight is always a good idea as jscott says.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools